Wednesday, August 21, 2013

EYE KNOW by (me!) Sandra, tvgp

I was after a coke, a pepsi, something sweet and carbonated to keep me going. Closest place was a bar. A very well established bar: elliotts. -since 1907. The sign says so. The second I walked in I could tell it was filled with regulars, locals, no tourists. Friendly enough woman behind the counter.. I bellied up, as they say, between two men, with a dollar bill in my hand. Stayed standing. Made eye contact with the bartender "just want a coke.. Do you sell those?" -and that's when the man on my write said, "hey.. Is that a tattoo on your face?". I looked at him with a smile. His eyes had a visible here-but-not-here glaze. My guess, and it was only a guess, was that he had been there since breakfast.. And was drinking more for lunch. "what does it stand for?" -and the thing is, he spoke so articulately. So clearly. His speech was in entire contrast to what I was reading in his eyes. And so, shame on me for being quick to judge, -write. I went ahead and answered while I waited for my coke. Then he said, so articulately, "conquer the world, one man at a time, with kindness. -that's my philosophy too!" and I felt a little guilty for misjudging this fine, sober and obviously noble young man. About then, I made the exchange with the bartender lady, dollar for the can of coke. "would you like a glass, some ice?" I said no thank you and then the fine, sober, noble young man on my write, he goes, "hey.. Is that a tattoo on your face? -what does it stand for?" and we had the exact same conversation again before I left and got back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home