Tuesday, August 20, 2013

And sometimes it goes like this for (me!) Sandra, tvgp

K, anyone who knows me even a little knows I am exhausted of the "he or she is having an affair" story line in books or conversations or commercials or movies. And I am thrilled beyond description when I get to read something that avoids this played out, overused, wildly predictable scenario. -and I was very excited to have a book sent to me recently "thank you Chris!". -especially because she (Chris), my dads wife, is responsible for introducing me to my 2nd favorite fiction book of all time: the elegance of the hedgehog.. So with high hopes I start in, and no need to guess what happens by page 3! I'm like, really. And then, a little movie plays in my mind where I get to be the obnoxious editor-in-chief person. I sit with a stack of books and magazines on my desk.. The writer sits in front of me.. I open a book from the top of a pile.. Scan, scan, highlight the sentence where we have the predictable affair..say the page number out loud.. Then throw the book out the window behind me. Grab the next book from the pile. Scan, scan.. Highlight, say the page number out loud, throw the book out the window.. And this continues for like 25 books and magazines. Then I say to the writer, "did you appreciate having to sit here and hear that over and over? Well neither do I!? Bring me something FRESH.. And then I grab THE JEWEL and place it on the table in front of me... This is an accomplishment. Don't knock on my door with anything less than this, understood. But in truth.. I flipped to the back of the book and read where one of the socially awkward characters in the story communicates with mathematical formulas.. And I'm so intrigued by how that reads, I told my handsome prince that I am going to force myself! To read the whole story and see if I can get past my own obstacles/prejudices so that I can enjoy the bigger picture. -will let you know. -I just had a visit with my Kathy biondi recently where I said during a much longer conversation (in her spectacular backyard over a delicious salad) "I just know there is an algorithm for creating self-consciousness and insecurities." I am not a mathematician.. But I do know a pattern/formula when I see it.

1 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger SHE said...

Sorry about that, it is not, the jewel. It is just:

Jewel

By Bret Lott. "thank you!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home