Tuesday, August 27, 2013

911! The vocabulary ambulance.. That would be (me!) Sandra, tvgp

It made me remember when my handsome prince told me his daughters couldn't go swimming because they were -sick. I said, "sick?.. That's awful.. What do they have? The flu?" and he hesitated, and then after a few false starts, pointing here, and gesturing there.. I realized he was trying to tell me they were on their periods. Or, if that colloquialism is unfamiliar: having their menstrual cycle. I will skip the part where I talk about how it is perfectly safe to swim.. Etc. And instead go write to how I reacted to hearing him describe menstruation as a "sickness". "have you been using that word with your daughters!? Telling them they're sick every month!? Honey, honey, honey... No, no, no! It is A GIFT! Not an illness... The very thing that allows us to give life! It means we are alive! And healthy!". And trust me.. I didn't stop there. I'm sure I went on for a while, trying to undo in one conversation, a few years worth of detrimental dialogue. And thank you Jesus and Holy Mother Mary, The word transplant has been a success.. With some consistency (and sarcasm) he now says, "did you receive your gift?" -"yes," I say, through the bathroom door, "I'm unwrapping it write now...and it's a beautiful bright red..." VOCABULARY DISPATCH: hit the siren...go! (rescue mission number two): we were watching the dance party on tv. Everyone, or almost everyone, on the dance floor was dressed in 80's attire. A lot of spandex pants, off the shoulder tops, high hair and large sunglasses, shorts and short sleeves in a rainbow of colors. my handsome prince says, "I used to dress like that... I wore shorts with a t-shirt.. But never! Tucked the t-shirt in.. Always it just hung out, long," he said and gestured toward his crotch, "had to cover my junk.". I go, "did you just call that junk?.. Honey, honey, honey.. No! No! No! ..if it's going inside me, we are definitely not calling it junk!". He goes, "what do you want me to call it then...?". "a masterpiece!". And then he goes, "okay then, 'my masterpiece' -and I just laughed and laughed. But you know what... I think that might be literally true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home