Friday, October 11, 2013

THE ART OF IMMEDIATE DETACHMENT & PUZZLES by (me!) Sandra, tvgp

I can't explain why I love it exactly, I only know that the other reason(s) I love working at ricks picks, is this daily opportunity to practice and experience immediate detachment. I thrive on it. So for example, there I go creating a mini masterpiece on a shelf, and when I'm done, I stand back, take a few seconds to enjoy the accomplishment and then ...let it go.... Because in know time either a customer will purchase something and the composition changes, or a big hole is created.. Or a customer will pick something up and set it down in a different place, or a co-worker will need an object for something, or as is the case most often... A new shipment of products has arrived and everything must be shuffled again. This is nothing like painting or taking pictures or making a sculpture! Nothing you -finish- and that remains as you finished it for any length of time. It is create, destroy, create, destroy, create destroy. So maybe that does explain it.. Because it is the -process- I enjoy, and there is no shortage of opportunities to start a new creative process. Then there is the peg board puzzle itself... I positively love the challenge of looking at a new box of products.. Seeing that there is absolutely no way it can fit on the peg board as it currently is... And then trying to determine what needs shifted where in order to incorporate a whole bunch more stuff.. It is virtually never the case that you remove everything and start over.. There are also time restrictions.. So, given this amount of time.. And this amount of product.. And this amount of space.. And the size of a given products to add vs. Size of the ones on the board... Where can I most quickly, efficiently, make this happen? And still maintain some continuity... Often times continuity gets sacrificed for times sake..so, again.. The art of immediate detachment. ..let it go...do your best... Let it go...but I tell you, it stacks up inside me..'first chance I get I'm gonna make sure I reorganize that stationery section!' Because write now they've got birthdays, weddings, baby, Christmas, and a writers corner all -everywhere. And clearly there is a golden opportunity to organize and color coordinate. Now, I won't lose any sleep over this for sure.. But I eye it, every time I walk by.. Whisper that direction, 'just wait til I get a hold of you...I'm gonna make you beautiful..' also, I cannot tell you how many times a day, a week, this happens..but with great frequency for all of us: you have a box of new product to find a home for.. You find it a new home (and as discussed this is a great challenge that is two seconds away from destruction the second you build it). But for that one moment.. When you're done.. And after moving this, shifting that, adding this, removing that, etc. It is.. For the most part; perfect. Done. The miracle has happened! You fit 50 things on a peg board made for 20, with some rhyme and reason..but at the very moment you are enjoying your little personal internal celebration, someone will bring in another box of 50 more things and set it in front of you.. 'one more box!' -and you are provided yet another opportunity to accomplish the impossible; as creatively and as fast as you can...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home