Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thoughts on gun control. By (me!) Sandra, tvgp

It's come up more than once in conversations. I've had more than one person ask me where I stand on gun control... And I suppose it seems kinda strange with having such fixed opinions on other big issues like abortion and gay marriage, etc., that I don't have a strong one on this issue.. Truth is, I haven't read much on it... And if I ve learned nothing else over the years, I've learned this... The mass media produced obvious answer is not always the correct one; nor is it not. -how fascinating things become when you really start to hear all the given for and against arguments on a given hot topic... If you can actually hear them; and you know what I mean... Sometimes you've already locked in an opinion and there is no hearing the other side(s). But the other thing is.. Nor do I have any desire to hear all the sides on this issue... Or any desire to do research.. Or learn more... I've handed this one over to God and the rest of the public... Perhaps PTSD prevents me from wanting to revisit in length and detail any gun related topic. I won't spend much time on it, and in fact, close here with this: I'm both for and against. I've shot targets for fun.. My past includes owning and operating. I've had a gun pointed at my face and shoved in my temple. OBVIOUSLY the world would be a better place without violent, evil and/or mentally unstable people using guns.. But I've been protected by them also... So there you have it: where I stand... I'm against gun use by violent, evil and/or mentally unstable people... I'm for guns for protection and self defense... And hobby (target) and hunting (for food not sport). And I know in my heart.. The problem is with people, culture.. It's societal; gun violence is a symptom; not the disease. You can and should have restrictions, laws, etc. When it comes to manufacturing and sales and ownership... But prevention needs to go much deeper. All the attention is on preventing the wrong person from owning, or stealing a gun... The attention needs to go all the way to preventing the wrong from taking root inside a person to begin with... And that leads me to repeat my greatest concern for our time... Technology out evolving humans at an embarrassing rate... The two idiots on their smart phones... We need Abe Lincoln for our human trafficking times.. And we need the problem solving and innovating equivalent of gates, zuckerberg, jobs and bezos, etc addressing cultural issues with the passion and determination and competitiveness and ingenuity we see with technology... In fact.. We do see a great deal of innovation, determination , etc in healthcare.. But it is still in the physical arena.. For the physical body; our flesh and bones.. Oh! The medications and surgeries and cures they have available today! ... More technological advances... While our spiritual advances are where? ...hearts and souls and spirits... Imagine a whole society of happy, healthy, loving, funny, compassionate people... And many of today's problems then take care of themselves. And allow me to throw in here... I think Joyce Meyer is doing this great and challenging work... Do we celebrate her the way we do a Steve jobs? Or zuckerberg? ... And lastly.. I just wonder how many people are even paying attention or care about this problem? How many people notice? How terribly technology is out pacing humans when it comes to evolution. By a 100 to 1

1 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Blogger SHE said...

I am to add: light hearted.

So, imagine a whole society of happy, healthy, loving, funny, compassionate, light hearted people

And problems start to take care of themselves..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home