Saturday, November 17, 2012

KASPERS MEMORIES TO GO! By (me!) writeousmom

As I was typing... /before being so intrudedly interrupted by a paying customer...

GREAT NEWS!

  -I just did a search on my own blog and it looks like even though I've told the story over and over to exhaustion "I've never blogged it!".

  I feel like I'm being rewarded by God himself for not repeating it verbally while we were there!

   God is merciful!

K,

"So.. What was taryn? How old was she? ..she must of been around 3 years old..
 She was old enough to talk but still hadn't mastered gender distinction..

You know, she was just learning to identify a boy as a boy and a girl as a girl... with people in pictures, or family/friends coming over, and guessing the gender of characters on TV...

"is that a boy?" should would ask in the sweetest voice in the whole wide world...

 And I would either confirm or correct her

And we're not talkin about looking at any anatomy that would give it away... Just faces really... Fully clothed people... It comes so naturally for adults you forget how you learned it in the first place; -you forget that you had to..

So anyway..

 There we were, just the two of us in kaspers one day

It was the kaspers in Pleasanton off Santa Rita road

Rose.. Something plaza.. Across from longs

Anyway

ROSE PAVILLION I think it is

Anyway

There was a bit of a line. -cuz who doesn't love kaspers, write

And I had taryn up on my hip, carrying her the way any proud mom does.. Showing her off to the world.. Makin' conversation to help the time pass..

At some point I turned around a little so that we were facing the entry doors instead of the hotdog maker lady..

And write about that time a man walked in...

And taryn goes, "is that a boy?". And I said, real proud, "YES!".

  And not shortly after another mom, and she said, "is that a girl?". And just like I was holding Einstein herself, I said, "YES!"

And it wasn't long before she stopped asking me and started telling' me

"that's a boy!". Or "that's a girl!".

And you know, just like is still true today... She got herself straight A's..

Oh, we had the whole line of people in on it... And everyone sitting down and eating who was within earshot...

  Listening to my taryn play -name the sex- game as people came inside the kaspers..

And every time the whole crowd would look at who was comin in, then turn and look at my genius 3 year old,

You know, I think she wasn't even 3 yet, to be honest..

Probably 1 1/2 or so... Very advanced

Anyway.

.they would get real quiet and wait for her to say "that's a boy!". Or "that's a girl!".

 And then they would all cheer and call out atta-girls

100% accuracy

Businessmen, high school kid, Asian grandma, Mexican infant... The kid was a gender-observation prodigy

Until

Well ...

The whole place got oddly quiet. 

People looked at the person comin in

Then back at taryn.

At taryn... Then the person comin' in...

I would not be exaggerating by too much to tell you that people actually stopped chewin' their food ...

Everyone just looked back n forth in silent suspence. -felt like even the people in the pictures hangin' on the wall were holdin' their breath..

Person comin' in might have been homeless for all any of us knew...

Hadn't seen a shower or bath for at least a week
At most, a month...

Dirty, old, baggy clothes..

Long, greasy gray hair stringing down from a hat that looked like it'd been run over in yesterday's traffic

And was that a purse? Or a backpack?

  And the beauty of my 1 1/2 year old gender observation prodigy was this: Not only was she too young to be so socially intelligent

But she was too young to be politically correct.

Real loud, in the most innocent game show contestant voice you've ever heard, she goes,

"WHAT IS THAT?!"

Well, I tell you.... The entire restaurant burst out laughing.. Spit their kasper dogs and root beer all over their neighbors clothes

I didn't know what to say...

But once I contained my own giggles, I just leaned in and whispered in her sweet little ear "I'm not sure myself, love bug. Your guess is as good as mine..."


"to kaspers memories with everything on it! -to go"

2 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

:(

Didn't that make the homeless person feel bad?

It actually kind of surprises me that in CA it took that long for a non-gender-specific looking person to pass by.

It's interesting that as adults, we're so set in what we think of as male and female (and color, ethnicity, etc.) that we actually have to teach our kids the difference. What would happen if none of us ever learned?

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger SHE said...

BBF.. No one was laughing AT the incoming person... The laughter was toward the situation and the mystery, challenge it obviously created for my daughter...

And her entirely innocent completely understandable reaction..

People were looking at us and laughing... Not..

Him or her?

And great question... What would happen if we didn't have to learn?

Equality.... Best case scenario

New fashions...

And strange impact on population control....

Xoxo




 

Post a Comment

<< Home