Thursday, November 01, 2012

R.I.P GENE ARTEMOW with love, from (me!) sandra, tvgp

Originally written/posted sometime in 2006 titled, MEET GENE.   repost inspired by his recent    death


*****

R.I.P. Gene... Sure am gonna miss crossing paths with you.
this is my friend gene. he lives write near downtown, and i've passed him i don't know how many times now, since moving to this neighborhood 2 1/2 years ago,
i've had two or three conversations with him, in length, learning about his family, history, hobbies..
but mostly our relationship is an everyday exchange like this:
"hi gene, how you doin'?"
"hi sandy.. on your way to work?"
"yeah"
"have a good day"
"you too.."
and it's hard to put into words how pleasant and meaningful this is to me. how much i look forward to that relatively simple exchange. he is always so kind. always uses my name. -and, i think what i appreciate most of all.. he is always there.
he can always be spotted somewhere downtown.. somewhere near the coffee shops.
and as i walk to work, i make it a point to see which side he is sitting on, so i can walk on that side of the street and enjoy our friendly good-morning exchange.
and i've noticed.. well.. i attach easily to people. i attached easily to a couple of my co-workers at amelia's, who only weeks later.. left. found new jobs. -which i'll have to do too
and in life in general, sometimes there's just a little too much, easy come, easy go, for my taste.
and i'm not writing this to add pressure or guilt to my blogumnist friend, squidmann (but if you do that for me.. i wouldn't stop you: http://www.leonardstegmann.blogspot.com)
i'm writing this just to share the point.. because for the past several years i've also woken up so looking forward to reading his posts
and in the absense of a new one, or even an old one today.. a best of..
i find myself with an even greater appreciation for my friend gene.

7 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger KarmaLennon said...

I attach too easily too. It can make things rough.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Maithri said...

I love this post.

Heres to gene! and tai dye shirts(is that even how you spell that lol) and little remembrances that we're all not so different after all....

And heres to you my friend,

For the heart livin in you that beats love for the world,

Love, light, laughter, orgasms ;)

(Everynow and then its good to see it written out in full)

M

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger SHE said...

karma: you do remind me so much of myself at a younger age..

it is rough sometimes.. but indifference

far worse. keep your open heart, open mind, open arms

slowly the scars fade, and wisdom shines through

my3: thank you friend, -and true, true

true we're not so different

and true its good to see it written out in full

love, light, laughter, and multiple orgasms

-all around, for the whole wide world- ~s.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Hawley said...

It's amazing how much just simply being loving, consistent, and using one's name can mean to a person. Myself included! I heard mention of a study that when your name is said to you by someone, your heartrate increases, and you grow more alert. Oh the power of a name, and the power of everyday friendships.

I have had a hard time with the fact that people who, at one time, were VERY close to you, can grow distant... I had a book as a kid called "Little While Friends". I'm pretty sure my mom bought it to help me cope with a friend who moved away when I was little. It's a tough reality of life. I think that's yet another reason why God is so attractive - even as an amphorous un-named, un-institutionalized "person" to 92% of Americans. Knowing there is someone great, who could love you and be consistent and always there? that's huge. big time.

And yeah - it's hard to leave a job or leave a place. I cling to places, friends, people who've moved to other stages where I am not present.

Maybe that's (one of the many reasons) why we get along so well?! :)

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger SHE said...

mbh: love your comments here.. and sounds like a great book too..

little while friends.

-can't help but picture another book, for snl maybe

-rip your heart out friends

"to first name basis & life long friends!" -cling-

love, ~s.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

You are the recipient of my award (MY3 gave it to you), so I had to stop by and see if you're worthy!!! Yup, you are! What? Of course I'm laughing.

I'm in Carmichael. Are you near downtown Sac? Sounds like it. I'll drop by again when I'm feeling a bit better. We recently lost our kitty, so I'm blue and not too focused, but once I've gathered my thoughts, I'll be back. Great post by the way.

OX Suzanne

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I just noticed Maithri's here!!! Too funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home