Saturday, October 20, 2012

SHADY CHARACTERS by (me!) sandra, tvgp

i woke with this battle: nervous giggle break down story or the bank robbery story -and bank robbery won, so here we go:

and i'm hoping like heck sue-sue will share her side of this memory too. -help fill in some gaps (when was this anyway? what year?) anyway..

we pulled up in front of wells fargo in hayward, in sue-sue's hot, roarin' blue camero. and the way this particular wells fargo is set in the strip plaza, you can pull up and park, -directly- in front of the bank, in front of the huge double glass window entry doors, which we did

and just as we parked, and just before i got out of the car, two suspicious-looking young guys are heading in the bank, and i say something like,

"those sure are two shady lookin' characters" and then proceed inside the bank behind them. (yes, trust me.. i know)

and just as i step inside and stand in line (this, before atm machines existed)

those two shady lookin' characters pull out a couple guns and tell us "DON'T MOVE!"

and i remember thinkin': you won't have to ask me twice. -and standing very, very, very still.

like a statue still.

and the thing is, the postion i was froze-in, was a kind of kitty-korner position, which allowed me, through my peripheral vision, to see sue-sue through the giant glass window doors sitting in the drivers seat waiting for me

and i must emphasize that i could see sue-sue ONLY through my peripheral vision because there was not one chance in heaven or hell that i was actually going to turn my head to get a better look

because while one of the shady characters had taken a teller at gunpoint to the vault -the other shady character was standing only so many feet away from me with the gun pointed, like -write at me.

and he was shakin' a little

and maybe i'm makin' this up, because it's been so long, but i remember thinkin' a few things while i stood there like a statue

i remember thinkin' about an article in the paper.. a news story that had floated around from the near past, where a mentally deranged man had walked inside a mcdonald's restaurant and sprayed the place with bullets; just like that. -i didn't remember any details of the story.. who the man was.. how many people were killed..

all i could remember, and did remember, as i stood there like a statue and watched this bank robbers hand shake with the gun in it pointed directly at me -was, he's gonna spray

and maybe i'm makin' this up too, but seems to me, my brain went through a series of reactions that went something like this:

this is how i'm going to die (numb/shock)

THIS is how i'm going to die (how totally ridiculous and completely absurd! ... of all the ways to go.. come on!)

this IS how i'm going die (what a bummer.. family members/friends saying good-bye slide show in mind's eye)

and at some point my attention shifts towards my best friend in the whole wide world sitting in the driver seat. i can see her. i can't move my head and look, but i CAN see her

bye friend.

and then i can see that she is looking directly at me. not looking around letting time pass.. but really looking, then staring at me. and so i have my head facing forward but my eye's shifted enough to stare back at her -and i open my eyes real wide to give a signal

and my most vivid memory is actually of watching the expressions on sue-sue's face change, as she registers what is going on

like i can practically guess every thought from hmmm, that's odd.. to, that REALLY IS odd.. to, why isn't she moving -AT ALL?!- to, what the hell!? to, oh-my-God! the banks being robbed!!

and i could see she jumped out of her car when the realization hit her

and being the intelligent, streetwise, genius, shero, she was -she didn't try entering the bank, (which i sometimes picture myself doing had the situation been reversed.. going in.. "hey.. what's going on? are you okay?" -and that makes the bank robber pull the trigger..) -but rather she ran to pixie donuts, which was next door, and had them call the cops

and this story gets even more fun, because MEANWHILE

in the parking lot -somewhere- is my ex-boyfriend steve and his girlfriend joanne (who would become his wife -and i believe they are married to this day)

and steve was a rather intelligent, streetwise guy himself, and he knew write away that the bank had been robbed by the way these two guys hopped in their van -and so he chased them some

and he took down their license to give to the police.

now add all our eye-witness testimony, to sue-sue running to pixie donuts to call the police, to steve getting and giving the license number to the police once they arrived

PLUS the money from the bank with some kind of purple dye identification thing, i think it was,

and you get: BAD GUYS GO TO JAIL and GOOD PEOPLE LIVE TO TELL THE STORY.

so it kind of has a happy ending.

and the reason i say kind of, is because this would not be the only or last time i had a gun held to my head. a few years later it would get much worse. much worse than bank robbers, and much worse than having a gun held a few feet away

i'd later have one shoved in my temple and cocked -with a whole lotta anger behind the trigger.

but i'm alive to tell that story too. -so, there you have it.


SUE-SUE... what do you remember?

11 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Lola Starr said...

Scary.....I am very relieved to have not had anything of this trauma happen to me. I consider myself hella lucky, considering I lived in the ghettos of ATL for five years. I must have LOTS of guardian angels round. And you must too.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Dogmom said...

Wow! Double WOW! First I have to say I was just telling this story to my friend/roommate and to Michael. He swares I never mentioned it before, and maybe I hadn't. It really was a lifetime ago. If I'm not mistaken....dates are fuzzy....but, I think it was in 1980. You just wanted to get some money out of your savings at "Old Stone Bank", not Wells Fargo (that was at Southland). We parked directly in front of the bank, and how convienent, because you were just running in to get $10 or so for some spending money. I don't remember the part about you spotting the evil doers. I just remember you saying "be right back!" The glass at the bank was tinted so that people inside the bank could see out, but, no one could see in. Not real bright whoever designed that idea. In fact, I am almost sure it's not that way today. It's funny that you remember the looks on my face, and what you thought I was thinking....because, I couldn't SEE anything, and I was getting impatient. I couldn't imagine what on earth was taking so long for you to get a few dollars out of your savings account. I remember having an OMG moment, as the thought of hoping the bank was NOT being robbed, or anything so outrageous as that....As I grew more impatient, and began being scared.....I got out of the car, and just in case the bank WAS being robbed, I very slyly acted as though I was just walking by, and then I sort of sneaked up to the window next to the door, and cupping each side of my face to block the glare from the sun so I could make sure I could see well, I peered nonchalantly into the bank, and the first thing I see is the barrel of a shotgun through one of the fake plants that was on each side of the door as people enter the bank. Then, I saw your face, and the dramatically STILL people in the bank....it was like a movie. The most FRIGHTENING movie I had ever saw! My friend was in trouble, and so was the entire bank. So, yes...you know how I am....I had to help. How could I not try to do something?! I felt so entirely helpless! I would feel even more helpless in the years ahead, unbeknownst to me at this time. I put on my little red cape....and I ran next door to the Barber Shop, where when I shouted, PLEASE...CAN YOU CALL THE POLICE? THE BANK IS BEING ROBBED!!" I was met with a very stone cold face (I'll never forget it), which then muttered the words "I'm not getting involved in that"! I couldn't believe it! I screamed at him, "WHAT'S A MATTER WITH YOU, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND? DID YOU HEAR ME? Then, he repeated himself....I don't even think I let him finish....I was gone, on to the next store...The Beauty Parlour. Where those ladies where very pro-active, and got on the phone immediately! They were comforting too, they made me stay in their store until the police came, which as I recall, was pretty darn fast, even though at the time, it seemed like forever. My best friend, we were gonna grow old together, meeting at Lyons for coffee when we were old and gray for a cigarette and coffee, beyond blood sisters for God's sake! My heart, my friend....WAS STILL IN THAT BANK! I was so scared! I don't remember Steve being there at all. It's weird what we remember, and what we don't. I always find that interresting. I do remember that the police chase ensued on the 880 freeway south, and we were told that the police caught up to them, and they were all arrested, I think three men and a woman. I don't think anyone was hurt (physically), but everyone in that bank, including myself was traumatized by that event. I handle things very different because of what happened that day. And, because of some unfortunate days later on. I also have huge trust issues with strangers. Let's just say I am very cautious! I guard my privacy, and unless I already know you, I most likely will not aknowledge you.
You are a survivor! You my friend, for so many reasons....are my hero!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

bbf, you have lived one hell of a life. Question: do you have high crime in your neck of the woods? I can't believe the crap that has happened to you!

We've had a rash of hold-ups in my county but not right near me. The county's murder rate is also up. Not good. I think crime increases with recession. Come to think about it, weren't we in a recession in the 80's as well?

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Cindy said...

I remember reading another one of your posts, my dear, where I held my breath -- just as I did during this read.

Scary.

Jarring.

Gratful.

Let's all use the ATM from now on :)

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger SHE said...

karma: yes.. i'm very glad for all people who don't have to experience trauma/violence -and wish we could figure out and spread what it is that makes safe/peaceful neighborhoods
-safe and peaceful

and spread that around the world.

"to guardian angels and earth's peacekeepers like you!"

love, ~s.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger SHE said...

sue-sue: honey, i was GLUED to every word..

SO GRATEFUL to have your half of this memory here to read

i'm in awe of what you did/and what you remember.. and smiling from the discrepancies

-old stone, not wells fargo
-the barber shop/beauty parlor; not pixie donuts

and how since i could see you.. i thought you were looking write at me, reading my signals, but in fact.. your brain was doing its own work

and as i read this.. it did start coming back.. "oh yeah.. yes.. i remember! she pretended to be walking by; peeked through the window; ..and the first people she asked for help couldn't have cared less.."

and laughed out loud to read i was taking $10 from my savings

i remember those days like... well, like, in fact, IT WAS

just yesterday i took $10 out of my savings again. -funny, huh

i tried looking steve/joann shaw up through classmates with no luck..

would love to hear their memories too

anyway.. i know what you say here about not trusting strangers

we've seen some of the ugliest things humans can do with these bank robbers falling on the mild side

but over the years i did start to see the day to day quality of my life as a non-trusting/all fearing person took such a toll on my spirit; my soul

it felt as if i were still being raped/robbed everyday

i've SLOWLY healed enough to trust again.. be vulnerable.. take risks

and as far as heroes/sheroes go

you are not only mine -but a savior/hero/guardian angel to many others

write place * write time
doing the write things * for the write people

and write reasons

and a p.s. thank you too, because i spy my lucky number in your comment post time

can't wait to see you and michael.. your brother, your parents..

much love! and BIG THANK YOU for sharing/remembering ~s.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger SHE said...

kmg/bbf: the short answer is YES. -the neighborhood/area i grew up in

or rather, i like to say,
-survived-

had gangs, and thugs n' drugs and a weed garden variety of crimes n' criminals

and wild to me -even to this day- how in a city over in one direction, it's much worse.. more violence/murders, etc.

and a city over in a different direction; much better.. where the highest crimes are petty thefts and traffic violations

and this was true in our neighborhoods in hayward also..

one block/neighborhood relatively nice/safe/quiet..

turn a few corners and it's ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

this helps explain why when my sister and i moved to pleasanton from hayward, several people said to us -not "welcome", but

"congratulations!"

and big YES to crimes increasing with recessions.. brings out the worst in some; the best in others

but character is definitely revealed

and speaking of character.. if you don't mind me skipping pages/changing the subject

just saw seven pounds at the movies.. extraordinary film! hope you get a chance to see it

love and happy 2009! ~s.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger SHE said...

cfl: -wonderful, because there is some breathing room here in the tri-valley

but i'm sorry to share, robberies that take place at atm's exceed inside bank robberies

quicker/easier.. but really depends on what city/neighborhood you're in, how much you need to have your guard up

even though the crime rate is relatively low here, i still make sure i'm aware of all my surroundings..

"to a safe, happy, peaceful 2009..

and spreading what's good n' write about where we are blessed to live"

love, ~s.

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Steven said...

Ok Sandy Here ya go...
Jo-Ann and I were getting gas at the gas station next to 7-11..
I just finished pumping gas and get back into the car Jo-Ann says the banks being robbed(I believe she say them run out..
So I drive out of the gas station and head that way(about 100 yards).As we approach the bank a locksmith had fallen after running outside to see which way they went.The same people robbed the bank before and got away..
So I say to the fallen individual."which way did they go..He points down the street and I immediately tell Jo-Ann " I know where they went."Not only is that my stomping ground,neighborhood,paper route..
They ducked behind the bank jumped a fence into Kaisers new parking lot, into a waiting cadillac driven by a woman.As I pull into the parking lot ,very slowly,they are coming out..NO LIE !! They stopped right next to us,we seen the lady,Jo-Ann and her were staring at each other(which felt like minutes)(which Jo-Ann later identifies in a picture line up)then all of a sudden .This dude pops up from the back seat,(his afro all messed up from the stocking)(funny) and tells her to drive.As they pulled out they bumped the back of Jo-Anns car.
@#%$^%#er hit us !!! I jammed in reverse ,chased them up aldengate ,right onto tennyson,they stopped in front of Dairy Belle..I thought ,cool I will pin them in...NOT !! Dude jumps in front seat ,she moves over,Im backin up.Sure enough he backs up too.He takes off ,im on his ass,we make a left onto hesperian,ran the light then he turned left onto Bolero,and im right on his ass ,which is a residential street...Were chasing him(hindsight---WHY ?? I had the lplate #)Pure adrenilin!!we hit close to 100 ,got along side him and said "I got you motherfucker" and thats no lie...As soon as I said that (some type of sense kicked in)I braked we went back to bank.
The cops were just gettin ther too,that tells you how fast all that happened..Literally minutes..
They were captured near San Jose off Dixon Landing rd..The dogs found them in a field..It was great,they were all tore up...
They had let the women out of the car before they got on the freeway..
That is why Jo-Ann had to pick out of the photo line up(FBI came to the house)(that was a 1st Sandy)..These people had 7th grade educations,they were all felons in thier mid/late 20s , from Berkeley and Oakland..The previous time they robbed that bank they fired the gun into the ceiling.Then this time they had the gun and a homemade pipe bomb..
I remember it so vividly,how often do you catch bank robbers..It was a blast...Loved it. Oh and yes the reward.. Are you ready..$400.00 each...yep..
$800.00 total...Woo Hoo... It seemed like a week later that "$10,000.00"reward sticker went up on the window...There ya go Sandy hope it filled in some blanks,you sound like you nailed it all except for the van...Steven

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger SHE said...

steve! i can't thank you enough for sharing

i had NO IDEA! the extent of the danger and drama for you and jo-ann

WILD! WILD! WILD! -but with such a happy ending.

belated thank you's to both of you!

it is such a strange blessing to have this story, this experience, put back together all these years later...

and just being in contact with you, and others from the peterman neighborhood has my head in a spin

a pleasant spin, but dizzying nonetheless

"to survivors, heroes, she~roes"

love, ~s.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger SHE said...

Original post 01/05/2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home