Thursday, August 16, 2012

THANK YOU JANE HIRSHFIELD from (me!) sandra, ttgp

ORIGINAL POST ?: **



i was first introduced to jane hirshfield at a wine n' words event hosted by connie post in livermore, last year i believe (or the year before?)


in contrast to billy collins, her poetry was quite serious


-reaching some of the same places in our souls, but from a very different angle. and i remember (somewhat) the style of her reading. i long to create a name for it. it has a very specific pattern to it, and i hear many, many, many poets at open mic events read their work in this same pattern. -as if it is the pattern-


it is as distinct as any music genre, and when i show up reading in my own pattern; a different pattern.. i attract the attention of any odd ball. -doesn't she know the rules?-


and i'll be damned if after listening to some 20 people read in that same pattern, if i didn't accidentally adopt it during one or two lines of my own poem -oh no! it's happening to me too!-


i had to work at it some, to maintain my original rhythms -that hirshfield pattern so contagious; resonate; seeping into my unconscious


in any case, i remember falling in admiration. -some of her poetry over my head and beyond my life experience; some of it awakening; some of it drilling holes through brick walls


i stood in line to ask her a couple questions. explained this was my first introduction to her work. thought i picked up a microexpression that read -how could you not know me?- made a silent personal vow that when i reach her status as a poet, i'll never expect everyone to already know me


but in truth, i think everyone else at the event did already know her, love her, own her books, long for the new one; autographed.


and despite her elevated presentation, distinct scholarly style, and despite every other person during open mic mimicking that hirshfield pattern during their readings


i still got up -and by memory- shared my poem: beautiful fish.


and how can i explain how interruptive this was? a short little rhyming poem after all those ivy league-ish thoughts were arranged just so


- just so - they dare not rhyme. apparently out of fashion.


i must break here to discuss my thoughts on that: rhyming vs. non-rhyming poetry. one any more valid than the other?


it is my experience that my thoughts sometimes come to me in rhyme. the first few lines, already rhyming and yielding a specific pattern. i honor it.


other times my thoughts come non-rhyming -but with poetic melody. i honor it. tell the story, write the poem according to how those first few lines are received.


on the occasions i've tried to make non-rhyming thoughts rhyme, or rhyming thoughts un-rhyme; the results are hideous. so for me, the validity, the integrity of a poem has nothing to do with whether it rhymes or doesn't; only with how well original thoughts are received and honored. i cannot attach my incoming thoughts to fads or styles when it comes to poetry.


writing poetry according to templates of meter, rhyme or form: forcing words inside specific patterns: fun as an exercise i suppose, but how did these templates and patterns emerge?


because at one time, they came organically to a poet. -that is my criteria- to honor what comes organically; to unwrap, play with, refine and complete each gift of idea presented to me.


it is the only adequate expression of gratitude for ideas: to make them manifest.


back to jane hirshfield. she was the keynote speaker at the recent pleasanton poetry, prose and art festival and she was wonderful ~spectacular~ brilliant in every way. with every word.


she began by apologizing for reading her speech, not having it memorized


"i have the memory of a fruit fly," she explained, and everyone smiled and laughed.


and so with the aid of notes she spoke to all of us. touched all of us. moved all of us. elevated each and every one of us. inspired us for our journey of workshops ahead


i have no copy of her speech. made no recording. and like her, have the memory of a fruit fly


so i cannot retype here the quotes i wish i could. what she said that made me cry. what she said that made me laugh. what she said that helped me believe in myself again


i am reminded of the truth of the saying "people will not remember what you said, but they will remember how you made them feel"


she helped me feel like a poet. like a real poet despite the blank spots on my life resume; perhaps exactly because of the blank spots on my resume


she validated the poet, the writer, the artist intrinsic in all of us (because insecurity is intrinsic as well)


i appreciated every word -felt contrary to a few-


she provided great evidence that contests were bad for poets. -and i think we all know competition has triple homicide potential


mind, body and soul.


but i've changed my mind about that over the past 4 years as reflections chair at the elementary school. what i've learned is that some children will not participate if their is a competition involved. other children will not participate unless their is a competition involved.


my goal as reflections chair is to involve as many children as possible. by nature, i think art should be created because it is a gift and a joy in and of itself. by nature, i put emphasis on the art "show" aspect of the event, and not the "contest"


but i've put my attention on what motivates. what motivates?


for some artists, being alive and able is motivation enough


for some (many), being given a time, date, place & purpose motivates (without this/nothing)


for others, competition motivates (without this/nothing).


and because this is true, i am not critical of competitions. what seems more important, is putting the write artists, in the write environment


and i'm fond of the pta's art reflections program because it covers the spectrum: it provides a date, time, place & purpose, it is a gallery show, it includes a competition.


jane hirshfield went on to say, despite her thoughts on the issue, it's almost impossible to become a published poet without winning a contest of somesort.


and i add on here it was such a joy to watch the winners of the pleasanton poetry, prose and art festival be recognized and win their awards. winners including a 2nd grade girl i know from my children's school, and one of my neighbors too. -the smiles! -the excitement! -the proud parent moments!


poets being the sensitive people we are, wish of course, that we could have winners without losers


poets being the intelligent people we are, know we already do.





































4 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Maithri said...

Love this post my friend,

Jane Hirshield sounds like a wonderful writer... must look up some of her stuff..

I don't 'get' all the formalities of poetry... meter and rhyme and blah blah blah ;)

A poem should just come... just be... it should be a heart song... clear and true.

Is that too simple an understanding of poetry?

Loved hearing what you said about involving kids... yes!! children have the gift... its in all of them... they are so connected to the source...

I remember when i was a little boy...being asked to write sentences for handwriting practice... i went back and found that book the other day...and found it was full of little two line poems... and yet...all over it the teacher had scribbled in red ink "keep your letters going the same way." etc... not a thought to the content...

Sorry for the essay :) You've just written something so very thought provoking...

llllo to you dear friend, M

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger SHE said...

my3: thanks for your thoughts and comments. -you write some of the most beautiful, meaningful poetry i've found in the blogosphere

and -i've seen this too many painful times.. when a person's (child and adult) content gets ignored while spelling or grammar errors are pointed out with such exaggeration

such a shame to see teachers attention drawn to all the wrong places

and such a treat to see students thrive anyway

llllo write back to you! ~s.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger SHE said...

Original post 04/12/08.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger SHE said...

And today in the re-reading of this, I laughed to see I wrote, "when" and not, "if I ever".

" when I reach her status as a poet..."

Wow. In that one sentence alone we can see the impact she had on helping me believe in myself.

She is a speaker of enormous power and inspiration.

Lucky/blessed to be in the audience.

Also.. In reposting, revisiting old blogs these past couple weeks/months, I'm seeing comments from old friends in the blogosphere..

And because I know it will be a certain investment of time/energy, I'm waiting for a long, open day to go revisit their blogs.. Catch up on what they are writing, how they are doing.. Skinny, and sing tome, my3, mr poetry 1313, tine, karma...(others I may be forgetting write now) Ultra cool group of great bloggers!

And this is the only place our lives have ever crossed: in the blogosphere

 

Post a Comment

<< Home