Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Tic tact by (me!) sandra, tvgp

i would describe myself as PTSD free!   -true.  but this is true also: like everyone, i have occasions when i am startled by this or that..

i believe the PTSD altered my natural and healthy startle response so that my initial startle experience is more intense; it changes the innate sensitivity settings..

On the occasions I am startled by an unexpected something or someone..   
-a harmless, non-threatening something, that just catches me off guard...

my uncontrollable, auto, impulsive reaction is highly intense but only lasts 1 or 2 seconds; then over and done.  i am able to move into the next moment without any issue...  

What happens after that though,  is for the next several days, at the longest, and next several hours, at the shortest

i will have a series of minor motor tics for which i have no warning; pronounced but lasting only a second.  and eventually they subside completely and they may be 15 minutes apart; then in 2 hours.. then not for 8 hours..   always getting further apart and less intense over time..

until another startle response in reaction to this or that...   then it starts all over again...  random motor tics..

it is not a big deal; not debilitating; does not even slow me down..  I am able to remain focused on whatever task or conversation is before me...

i am more just curious/fascinated from a layperson neuroscience perspective...

like,   -what is happening in between motor tics... ? is there a specific destination/area that gets touched, or a trail? this burst of energy is traveling... 

?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home