Friday, March 29, 2013

PROTECTING TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE by (me!) Sandra, tvgp

It is no surprise to Jesus, that I find it a bit of a joke.. That I had to laugh when I heard the gentleman on the radio talk about the importance of "protecting the traditional definition of marriage.. One man. One woman." And how timely is it, that for national women's month, I just finished reading, OUR ELEANOR, by Candace Fleming.. A scrapbook look at Eleanor roosevelt's remarkable life. I highly recommend this book, by the way.. But for the purposes of my blog post today, I'm going to skip writing about her phenomenal accomplishments.. Like the universal declaration of human rights, and instead write about her "traditional marriage" to who would become President Franklin Roosevelt. One man. One woman. The pretty dress.. The fancy wedding.. The legal documents. Just the way everyone who opposes gay marriage would like to -see- things (remain). Because apparently.. If the customs have been adhered to, ... Well, here's the thing: I won't pretend to know the truth, but the way this scrapbook looks.. It leaves the reader with no doubts Eleanor was a closet lesbian; closet with the door proped open,that is. And Franklin Roosevelt was quite out in the open with his mistress... So, there you have it folks.. This one "traditional marriage" pretty much sums up why I think marriage is a bit of a joke to begin with. When I put the "traditional marriages" to the test, the ones I've either been exposed to, or experienced personally.. I think to myself, and even say to God in prayer..'really!? They want to protect that?!' -come on people.. i can't be sure when or where I locked in my idea for what a marriage SHOULD look, act, and be like.. But I can describe it pretty succinctly here: two adults who genuinely love each other. Who are on the same team. Who celebrate each others victories and accomplishments, and who comfort each other through tough and trying times. I believe in monogamy; loyalty; faithfulness and truth. I believe the two adults in love should be at all times, respectful of each other. And each should honor the other publically and privately, secretly and overtly, with equal devotion and commitment. There ought to be some consistent relationship between what is said.. And what is done. /keep in mind Ive been divorced two and a half times... AND notice, that my personal vision of love.. Or rather of marriage.. Of both love and marriage (which appears very hard to find in combination) well, my definition and vision places no value on what the two adults LOOK like.. For me, it doesn't matter if you are black and white, young and old, catholic and Muslim, rich and poor, republican and democrat, near and far, tall and short, two women, or two men,.. my vision places all the value on what the LOVE looks like... Are these two people respectful toward, true to, honest with, loyal to... Do they celebrate each others victories, help each other through crises? And do they only do such things for show.. Or is it consistent and genuine, in public, in private...when everyone is watching, when only google and God and Bay area alarm can see.... So the upshot remains the same for me today, as it has for very many years now.. Overall, I think "traditional marriage" ... Which sometimes includes affairs, and/or domestic abuse, of which over 50% end in divorce, of which some serve as business partnerships and financial agreements and have no actual love/commitment at all.. This "traditional marriage" is a bit of a joke.. Where lust and unhealthy impulsive attractions are confused for love, and getting married is nothing more than a cultural habit.. Well, I have no desire to protect the 'traditional marriages' I've seen. And if gay people want to join in on the joke.. Because the government will only provide benefits if they do... Then "congratulations" to you, and God bless you for tryin'. -maybe it will be two men, and/or two women who stop marriage from being an institutionalized joke, and elevate the status. And as far as honoring the bible goes.. Well, we learn in the good book, the good news: God is love. ... So ... Let's work on that: love. And turn to 1 Corinthians 13:4 --->. And remember God's love endures forever..

1 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger SHE said...

So, as I listen to more and more interviews about the issue of gay/lesbian marriage being debated by the supremem court.. It does seem to be primarily about gay/lesbian couples being able to get federal benefits...

And so, let us look again at some of our leaders...

Former president Clinton and Hillary.. They qualified for benefits... But there was more than 1 man and woman in that "marriage" now wasn't there...

Our candidate John Edwards... He and his wife qualified for benefits...

We have Hollywood too.. So, like, Elizabeth Taylor, let's say... She and her husband(s) always qualified for benefits... 7 times, I think it is, that her and her spouse qualified for benefits...

So, apparently

What you need to do, dear gay and lesbian people, if you are in love (or not) and want to qualify..

Show up with a person of the opposite gender

Legally marry

Then do whatever the hell you want.

It's all about the paper work.

America! Land of the not so, and yet, very free.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home