Tuesday, March 26, 2013

10 CENTS FOR A BAG!?! Cries (me!) Sandra, tvgp

On iPad, so this will not be spaced to my desire, but should still be readable: Part I: a segment on CBS Sunday morning which showed, in great and very persuasive detail, the crisis we all face due to plastic bags being available at the local grocery stores. The litter! The trees filled with plastic bags... Fences covered by windblown plastic bags... The inability to recycle! The damage to our Eco system! Etc., etc., and under the influence of this segment.. Which aired many, many months ago, my next several trips to the grocery store, when they said, "paper or plastic?" -the video would flash on my mental movie screen and I answered, "paper" of course. PART II: fast forward, and next thing I don't know, is that my grocery stores aren't offering bags at all anymore; period. Paper or plastic. ...you bring your own bag.. Or YOU MUST PAY! ..for a bag; 10 cents each. Paper only option. -fine. PART III: that's annoying! PART IV: I purchase only the absolute mandatory essentials. For me, that means.. Salame, coffee, beer, chocolate, listerine 6 in 1! And some lotion that gradually tans your skin.. It's a lot to carry.. But carry it I do! And carry it I will! ...because there is an automatic, built-in, stubborn streak in me that just REFUSES to fork over that dime. I mean.. I'd rather stuff my purse, and have to bend down and pick up the three things that keep falling on the floor, than pay that stupid ten cents for a paper bag! And the embarrassing thing is... - if they bumped up the price of my salame, or any other item I buy, by 10 cents, truth is, I wouldn't even notice; in my cart it would still go.. And in my arms... But not in a ten cent bag! PART 5 (because, I forget what the roman 5 looks like): ..I wonder how it is that we got our bags for free in the first place for all those years? They do have to be manufactured and sorted and shipped and distributed... How is it that they never charged us for any of that? But I'll tell you what, about the human condition... You can't go giving something away for free for a hundred years and then suddenly start charging a dime for it! A dime! You either need to attach a fee from the very beginning and just raise it slightly over the years, like they do postage stamps, or never charge a fee at all. A dime? That's a dollar for every ten bags! Times how many people? ..PART six: "no, no, no, I will just use your grocery cart to get my items to my car, then I will place them, one by one, inside my automobile. They will, no doubt, roll around, and fall and nearly get me killed during the hard write turn on my drive home, where it will take me at least two trips to carry them inside the house... But I refuse to pay 10 cents per bag! And next time.. I will remember to bring my own bag(s). -no. I will no longer be bringing your grocery cart back to the store or designated area.. I realize I have been doing that for free for all my grocery store shopping life, but I feel a change coming on... Loose change...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home