Saturday, September 01, 2012

DEAR MY FAVORITE BLOGGER FRIENDS...











as you have ALL decided to take the day off. fine! i will carry the weight today and tell you a story from just the other day. but not yesterday. or the day before.

it all started last month, or last week, when my favorite-of-all-time-use-it-everyday backpack chair collapsed. and please just let me skip right over reliving the humiliation of having my whole body, so suddenly and unexpecedly go crashing - butt first- into the ground..

the long walk from my truck, the slick one-handed unsnap, unfold, and waa-laa!placement of my backpack chair on the grass in the very middle of the very public park beneathe the spotlight of the sun. the two-handed, but still slick, opening and first sip of a bran new full-to-the-top cold pepsi i so excitedly placed in the darling fabric cup holder before attempting to sit down...

well anyway.. i bought this wonderful (stupid!) backpack chair last summer at sports chalet. big sign, big red font, said: ON SALE! ONLY $29.99. and i fell for it.

would later see the exact same chair at walgreens being sold at full retail price for $19.99.

that kind of thing just pisses me off.

but, oh! how i love my backpack chair! take it with me everywhere i go. so light and portable and comfortable and wonderful in every way. if i divided how many times i've used it by the price i paid. which i would never do because i hate math. i'm sure even at $29.99, it's a real bargain.

so my heart broke when the chair broke and i went racing to walgreens right away for a replacement.

no backpack chairs. none. just those plasticky beach chairs that pinch your skin, or the butterfly kind impossible to get in and out of if your over 30 pounds.

so to sports chalet i drove!

"got any backpack chairs?"

"in the camping section" he pointed

i ran towards the tents and coolers and there they were: a whole stack of beautiful, wonderful, light weight, portable, backpack chairs with the darling attached cupholders. fantastic! black or blue

and for a mere $39.99.

$39.99?!? holy shit. what a rip off! why you'd have to love this backpack chair an awful lot and use it everyday to pay a stupid price like that!

and so i went to the register carrying my new backpack chair -on my back.

and this is wear it gets a little tricky.

out of, like - nowhere- or the star trek enterprise, a handsome man is beamed into line behind me. he speaks to me, says, "how much is the chair, it will save me having to walk back and find out."

and i -having just read the price: $39.99. having been pissed off at the $39.99 price. having just gone over, and worse, standing directly in front of the register where i just PAID $39.99!
-forgot the price.

and let me here please just skip over the part where i said to him... or to be more accurate where i kind of asked, "$29? no.. it was more than last year, but less than walgreens... $40? no that doesn't sound right.. i paid more than last year, i know that for sure! well, duh.. let me look at my receipt." meanwhile the price is practically blinking on the cash register in front of me. but, no, i unzipped my little mesh purse, pulled out the receipt i had JUST put in, and hope i eventually said, $39.99. i can't be sure.

then i went to my truck. my car? i'm still not sure what to call it..

but instead of driving off. i find myself stalking. i mean, stalling. -stal-ling- i just sit there a minute, looking around, recovering from my three-hundredith-million embarrassing episode. la, la, la, la, la.. hum diddy doe.. and then watch as he walks out. and i just happen to notice.. he did not go to a car in the parking lot, he headed to the bookstore.

and so, it was then, hit me like lightning and i realized -this is my one and only chance before my trip next year to get a new cd!

and so coincidentally, i found myself right behind him in the bookstore.

and i went back to the music section.. started looking for kelly clarkson's "respect" -she did an awesome job on this remake.. but it's nowhere on the back of her cd's, this song..

so i went to the computer to do some (oh! there he is! eye contact! big smile) research and found out kelly doesn't sing respect on her cd's, but it is on the american idol greatest hits, which is not in store and needs to be ordered.

and so i went straight then (where did he go?) to jason mraz. and since my daughter permanently borrowed the two jason mraz cd's i used to have.. i decided to get two more.
$18.99 each.
-$18.99?!? holy shit. i had no idea! it was not in my budget; no way.

and so i walked to the counter, paid $41.30 for mr. a-z and waiting for my rocket to come.

went to my car. opened up, popped in my new cd, opened the sunroof and drove home singin' all about them words.
over numbers, unencumbered numbered words
hundreds of pages.. pages, pages forwards
more words
then i had ever heard
and i
feel
so alive!...

5 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger Leonard Stegmann said...

Ah, boo-hoo. Your $20 dollar chair stopped working? Hey, the $2,000 computer I bought ONE MONTH ago stopped working yesterday.

Sorry, I'm still a little tense. I'll calm down in a bit.

Fun story!

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger SHE said...

misery is your muse my friend

misery is your muse.

what is this now? event 10?

no whinning in the comments section. that's my trick.

i expect no less than 500 words about it by monday morning

and make it funny.

happy easter! ~s.c.

($2000!? that's a lot a' pennies).

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Jim Ott said...

Great story! I can just picture the whole thing and knowing where Sports Chalet and Borders is makes it all the more vivid. Thanks for blogging this one...

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger SHE said...

thanks jim! and to think you risked being with me in public. this makes you a true friend!

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger SHE said...

Original post 04/06/2007. -really, can't explain how fun /and educational...

To revisit/re-read some of these old posts & comments from the archives.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home