Tuesday, September 18, 2012

DEAR CHIEF OF POLICE by (me!) sandra, ttgp


nov 13th, 2007


dear michael fraser, chief of police

jennifer hosterman, mayor of pleasanton

sgt. mike collins, traffic supervisor


i am writing so you can applaud and recognize the stellar, by the book, police work performed today by officers harry mcintosh and matt lengel.

a few weeks ago they pulled my sister over while she was borrowing my car, because the license tags were expired. they could have had the car towed that very day, but gave her a fix-it ticket instead. she did know and explain current tags had been paid for but not received. i was under the impression you had 30 days to take care of fix it tickets, but learned today from mcintosh and lengel, that "you have none."

the entire reason the tags were expired was because dmv, overwhelmed, i'm sure with the population of drivers they manage, neglected to mail the tags even though they were paid for.

when i spent hours, weeks, and several phone calls trying to correct the situation, they insisted i had not properly proven i had insurance coverage. but, in fact, i did have insurance coverage.

i mailed the documents requested, but still no tags in the mail. i decided to hedge my bets. i did after all, take care of things from my end: i paid for my tags. i paid for my insurance. i mailed in the documents.


but when my sister was pulled over, i knew i must take the time and energy to re-prove my case. i went to the bank because i knew dmv would need to see a copy of the check they had recieved and cashed. months having passed, the check was in the archives and needed to be ordered; so i ordered the check. couple days later, had a copy of the check in my hand, plus my proof of insurance. would have gone to dmv on monday, but it was closed for veterans day, so was planning on going TODAY -despite the mimimum day at school, two parent-teacher conferences, and other prior commitments

my sister was pulled over TODAY before i made it to the dmv.

i met with officer mcintosh and lengel at the scene. i brought with me and showed them

1) proof i had paid for my tags

2) proof i had insurance coverage

3) proof that once the fix-it ticket was issued, i took action to correct things by ordering the check from the bank-

4) proof that i had the paper work to take care of things at dmv right then, only two blocks away

but mcintosh and lengel paid no attention; could not have cared less. the tags were expired and my car would be towed: exactly by the book. i couldn't believe it. hate myself now for wasting time/energy trying to plead my case; but i couldn't help it...

"if i didn't pay for my tags... if i didn't have insurance.. i could understand..

if i ignored the fix-it ticket.. didn't make an effort.. then maybe i could understand..

but look at my paper-work... i'm a good citizen!"


nothin' goin'. lengel's mind was made up. i wanted then to see mcintosh's face. look into his eyes, try to understand.. but he refused to take off his sunglasses.

"don't play games with me," he said real stern.

lesser trained and dedicated officers might risk cutting some slack given the circumstances, but not mcintosh or lengel

and some people criticize male officers for giving breaks to attractive women; but not mcintosh or lengel. my sister is one of the most kind, generous, beautiful blonds you've ever seen, with great big blue eyes... single mom, trying to make her way to work, with a 4 year old daughter and 7 year old son to pick up from school

i tell you this chief of police, michael fraser.. your officers did not give any unfair breaks to this beautiful, single, hard working mom; no sir.

expired tags = tow the car.

so we spent about a half hour at dmv waiting in line to re-prove the tags were paid for and the car was -and always had been- properly insured.

then we went to the police department and paid $100.

then we went to central towing and paid $215 to get the car (only, actually our mom paid $215. THANKS MOM!)

we now have temporary tags and wait again for new tags in the mail. ironically, the statement and bill for 2008 will arrive within the week anyway. some bets you win/some bets you loose, huh

but no unnecessary hardship is lost on me. i learn from everything that happens to and around me. today i learned what fine, by the book, unwavering traffic officers work here in pleasanton.

and i had to share this story so you could be as proud of your officers as they are of themselves.





sandra kay, ttgp

9 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

F the po-po, right?!

Today I wanted to get a coffee.... Needed, really. My bank account is on ZERO, possibly negative. So I figured I'd try an old gift card and cross my fingers...

Went to Starbucks, ordered, not thinking... spilled crackers i had stored in my bag since I had no $ for food or snacks otherwise. I picked them up, handed over the gift card. Hoped.

Twenty swipes later, we gave up - the cashier and I. Tried my parents card - also declined.

I said "Don't worry about it... I'm sorry to have bothered you!" embarrassed and sad to walk away without my caffeine intake.

"Here! Here! Take it. It's free. Don't worry about it."

They made my day. God bless them, and God blessed me with my free $4.05 starbucks holiday beverage.

Sometimes, sending out that good karma just comes back to ya. Those cops will someday see the "benefits" and same treatment they gave you - somehow, someway, someday.

It just sucks, though, doesn't it? I hope you have a day like mine tomorrow, where you get what you don't deserve, and you receive what you can't repay.

God bless ya, sister. At least you can say your real sister is that gorgeous and you are a champ for dealing with it all and getting through - and with Mom's love and provision, none the less!!

Can't say that much for everyone...

Love
H

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger SHE said...

bh: "twenty swipes later" -cracked me up. love it.

remembering matt's story too about teaching class w/coffee stains on his shirt

and love this line of yours:

"..you get what you don't deserve, and you receive what you can't repay. "

i'm all better today, having had lunch w/my sister & friends and venting through blogging

but yesterday my mind filled with an ongoing slideshow of vengeful possibilities. -quite creative.

will probably work its way into a writing workshop i teach in the future..

"to karma!" much love, ~s.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger KarmaLennon said...

Oh, I can't stand the cops. Sorry that happened but glad things eventually (pricely) worked out.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger SHE said...

so we're driving home from chucky cheese pizza place when my daughter says,

"these toys are so cheap! one just broke in my hand. what a rip off for children!"

i look at her like, duh.. they're chucky cheese token toys, what do you expect?

and that is exactly the look i've been getting from anyone i tell my car-got-towed story to

"um, duh... they're cops.. what do you expect?"

-more franks; less harry's-

and while we're at it:

better toys at chucky cheese!

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad my story made you laugh, Sandra. That, right there - making people laugh, is probably one of the best gifts in life.

Thanks :)

You are a joy.

People may tow your car, they might be jerks, they may rip you off or treat you badly, but they can't change who you are unless you let them. SO glad you're not letting them!!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Funkygirl said...

It's nice that the crime rate here is low but come on hassling good and honest people is ridiculous. Last Thanksgiving my husband Sam and I were coming home after a movie. We took a short cut down a hill in between Walmart and Kohls. We were stopped because the good officer suspected us of robbery. My husband still holding his drink and popcorn box says" we just came from the movies! We of course had to stand in the cold while he ran our names. In order for my husband had to be searched before he could hand his coat. Since I didn't have one. After 20 min passed and 2 cop cars later they apologized and let us go. The police officer who stopped us when he sees us just waves and continues on.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger SHE said...

karma/bh/funkygirl:

can't let the actions of these two serve as representation of the entire force

i've been more often served and protected and will never forget it.

and funkygirl, you make a great point. most lucky to live in an area where police even have time to pay attention to whether tags are expired or not

having lived in other areas; i know.

and looks like we are approaching the anniversary of you & sam mistakingly being pulled over.

i'm grateful they apologized and let you go

happy thanksgiving!

i'm grateful for your thoughts and comments!

love, ~s.

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's never the entirity that is bad, it's the loud few whose actions/message/heart somehow convey more to us about the overall group than they probably should.

Like Matt's dear friend who is a cop and just had to resign because of a malicious boss who wanted him out of the competition, blamed him for a minor mistake and made it like he was trying to tamper with things. Just loves being a cop and happened to work for the wrong guy...

Same thing with this weekend. Matt and I made a day trip to Philly and stumbled upon a gay marriage. Well, the exit anyway. There were a handful of protesters and a cute little mini (my fave!) with an adorable drawing of the couple, just married drawn on the window, and cans hanging off the back...

Haters were holding signs, shouting nonsense, even video taping - waiting for the poor innocent couple with the hopes of shouting at them when they walked out.

It was terrible.

So Matt and I stood in awe that people could really claim to be Christian and behave so foolishly, so heartlessly, so idiotically, and worst of all, with such hate. Jesus would have been the best man!

I am not one to stand by and observe something like that without trying to counterbalance that hatred... so I asked a judgmental guy for a pen, and on a scratch piece of paper wrote (basically - a shortened version):

We're christians, and saw this. These people are hateful and ridiculous, and I hope you'll look beyond it. God bless you - and your marriage - and may you have an amazing honeymoon! We love you and we don't even know you. Cute car!
Best wishes and love, Strangers

... And handed it to the friend who would be driving their get away car, saying "hey, would you mind giving this to the couple? your call. only give it to them if you like it"

He smiled, I returned the pen to the stunned video-taping hateful man who probably only let me borrow the pen under the assumption that i was a hetero, and felt a little bit of relief as we walked away. Used the haters pen to write a message of love.

AND... the cops were there to keep the protesters from getting too in your face. God bless 'em.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger SHE said...

Original post 11/13/2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home