Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Most Important thing he said (dan harris!) as heard by (me!) Sandra, tvgp

close your text books and turn on charlie rose..

See interview with Dan Harris, author of...  /book cover close-up please..

10% happier.   How I tamed the voice in my head. Reduced stress without losing my edge.  And found self-help that actually works. A true story.

***

Now, ignore the impulsive reaction to gag at successful prep who has a drug induced panic attack on national TV and then profits from writing a book about it..   No audience gained ever goes wasted..huh..

It is a cultural slash capitalistic formula.. Seen over, over, over..  Usually to my disgust,  But I force myself to listen to a fellow human being anyway..

don't you just hate that..  When there's someone you don't necessarily want to feel compassion for.. But then as you listen.. You do anyway..

That was my experience listening to this dan Harris sharing his story with my Charlie rose..

I'm not going recap the entire conversation; watch it yourself.  I'm cutting to what resonated with (me!)..

Upshot: covered war in iraq as a journalist..  Perhaps did not cope as well as he hoped..  Self-medicated upon returning home via cocaine and ecstasy..  had a panic attack during a morning news show he was anchoring.. good morning america..   And quit in the middle of his on-air performance..

K

Now,  cut to later in conversation:  his boss, peter Jennings (RIP) told him to go cover religion, faith and spirituality.  /cut, skip, jump..

" I don't think I had had a serious conversation with a person of faith in my adult life until I got this assignment."

-worth noting just how successful and far in life.. Education, career, one can get ...   without ever having had a serious conversation about. -faith.    I'm very curious, and suspect, about higher education if it doesn't include some basic training in world religions...   -that frightens me.

but that's not even my point.. My point!    -is how he visits different synagogues, churches, temples, etc.. And eventually bumps into:

Meditation.    This! Turns out to be the key to his new found

10% increase in happiness.   You really must hear this conversation.. The way he describes encountering

-for the first time-  and as an adult..  -the voice in his head.  How he  learned to pay attention to his own thinking.. And train his mind to override default thoughts of negativity and proactively return his mind to peace ..and positive thoughts..

THIS is something we should be teaching everyone from elementary school on..   meditation.  Paying attention to your thoughts. Noting what they are by default.. Learning to override and control your own thoughts.   -crucial.

meditation is neutral.. Its not religion; its basic health.  brush your teeth; and then mental hygiene: meditate.   Exercise your mind muscles..   10 times more important than physical-body exercise in my opinion..

and yet, people can go their entire lives without reaching this, relatively speaking, low level of awareness and it is so key to a healthy, happy life..

-so!  Fascinating for me to learn, this otherwise successful and mature professional journalist.. Reporting on world events..and war and whatnot..

had no idea, until in his 30's,  and until after his panic attack..

that he can actually observe, assess and control his own thoughts.   -awareness;..  A late bloomer to becoming conscious of his own thoughts and learning to direct and Influence them vs. Accept and react to the default settings...

Of interest for sure..!  

What I would love to share with dan Harris is this:

there are still deeper levels of consciousness; conscious awareness..  you are only getting warmed up my friend..

pay attention.. continue meditating...

Ask; seek; knock.  

truth will answer the door.

Be still.

you are only half way there...     I wish you many blessings! continued success...

in Jesus name,   -amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home