Monday, March 16, 2015

Best First Baseman of all time! (JaaaaAAAAaaack Kay!)

Playing for the San Francisco Giants!    /he has in the past informed me, maybe the Oakland A's..   but in my visions I never see him wearing green and yellow..   I see him....

in black, orange and white.   and can even hear the sports announcer write now!

"Did you see that?!?  3rd OUT! for KC... And  I think Jack Kay  just set another record for the high jump..   "

***
-because oh!  this is where he shines.. 1st base..  I mean.. who stands a chance?! Of getting on 1st when Jack is there?

No one! That's who..  

I've said it before, I'll say it again..   He is amazing!  As ready for the accurate power throw as he is for the accidental over throw..

too high.. no worries; he jumps like a NBA champion..

off to the side.. No worries; he stretches like a yoga master..  left, write, center, up, down, straight on.. No matter

He's got speed, he's got instincts, he's got determination, he's got experience, and!

He's got love for the game...

Wanna know where else he shines..    

"That's his 3rd steal!  #43..  Loves to taunt..  that one..."

***

because..  he'll stomp his feet, clap his hands, speed step to the side..    Antagonize the pitcher, distract his opponents, 

-whatever needs done..   Always going for the steal

-always within flight of the base..

offensively:  well,

"Highest stats for crossing home plate..".  -because, if he hits his way to 1st base, or gets walked..   Once he's on base..  chances are very high he'll be crossing home plate..

no hit or miss by his teammates ever gets wasted!  If he can go..

-he's gone..

..2nd base... 3rd...    " and he's crossing home AGAIN!!"

***

I just never tire of watching him do his thing.. So exciting!  He not only has his head in the game at all times..

He has his heart, mind, spirit, soul...body...  

***

And!  When I tell you here, he is always willing to step up to the plate; I mean it both ways..

Last game, I was all temporarily engaged in a conversation with another parent, and then..  When I glanced back on the field..

?

...like, where did my son go?...

Took me a couple seconds to find him, because..

He was on the pitchers mound!   Now,..   this is a position for which he has not received any concentrated training; and for which he has not logged in any countable hours of practice..

But.. they asked.. they needed him. And he stepped up to the plate.

-makes me so proud!

-and you know (me!) By now..  I realize the great life lessons..

there is a place we each shine; a place, a position..   just write for each of us..

But each of us will also be required to just do the best we can in an area outside of our expertise, and training.. 

When you get put, or end up, in positions outside of your skill set..

that's all you are required to do:  your best.

the trick is to not let that make you feel like a failure in any way..  not to let that give you any sense you are not enough, because you can't shine in every single position..

Shine bright where you do shine!   With humility..
and do your best everywhere else..  with humility..

So much.. so much.. I learn every year from watching baseball..

my favorite lesson:  the speed at which you are required to shake off an error and move into the next moment with a fresh, powerful, optimistic perspective.. error to awesome in .02 seconds!

Really.  This sport demands it.  Strike out; the 3rd out, when the bases were loaded...

you have to let that go; immediately!   Run with energy and confidence back out on the field in whatever your defense position is..  fresh start. 

miss an important catch?  -you let that go; immediately!  -ready to get the next one..

-there is absolutely no time -whatsoever-  for beating yourself up, or dwelling, or rehashing..   or self punishment of any kind.

Mess up; move on..;immediately!   its great spiritual training.

-ever into the next moment of winning possibilities..

***

I can't close without revisiting two of my favorite; make that three of my favorite baseball related memories:

-throwing socks rolled up into make shift baseballs around the living room to help my son build his instincts.   This is definitely one of those areas where you can see God turn my weakness into a strength

-because.  Well, I can't throw to save my own life.  I'm a little better now with practice.. But I never had any idea when I threw those sock-balls what direction they'd be going you see..

-so,  -neither could my son.   -he never knew if he'd have to be running left or diving write..  

But I would fast pitch those socks in the air.. And he would figure it out so quick.. Make the catch!  Sometimes rolling, sometimes stretching, sometimes standing still..   Boom!

so, I'm going to take some credit here for building his instincts.

/only briefly mentioning I have no experience.. never played sports, etc.   And only briefly mentioning his father has coached him every year since T-ball..

To share my next favorite memory, I must first turn myself in.  I must share that I was at the time, battling..  Battling a lot of internal, personal demons..  

and during this time, I mean.. I could not, COULD NOT get myself to complete domestic responsibilities.  trying to motivate myself to even do one load of laundry..  Well, it was like requiring myself to conquer half dome.  I couldn't do it.  Just couldn't..

But!  ..for some reason.. even though I could look directly at a growing mountain of dirty laundry and ignore it..

I did always feel inspired.. I always found the energy to wash jacks baseball uniforms.

I see it with sentiment, compassion and humor now; several years later..

But if I can paint the picture.. That's what you would see:

mountains of dirty laundry over there, and there..

but on the bed:  Jacks baseball uniform. Sparkling clean. Laid out flat on the bed spread: the white pants; the shirt; the sliders; his cap, his cup, belt..   socks...

-it was sometimes the only thing I accomplished on a given day that made me smile.

So, the sock-ball throwing and the clean uniform; two of my favorite memories..

gosh, there's four really.. Not three.   -the catch! At max baer park!

Skip forward... And.. Well,   -I had been telling jack  -mommy coaching

-for which I have no experience, no training, and virtually no credibility

My experience is all just from watching him play several years in a row..  Observing..

So I told him, "hit on the 1st pitch!  -you leverage the element of surprise!".  -and he has a great eye, my son..  And he never hits the 1st pitch.. He uses it to assess..

but to humor me at one of his games..  He swung at the first pitch and GOT A DOUBLE!   -landed himself at second plate!

-has since served as a lighthearted joke between his father and I..

-his father who has actually coached year after year.. Put in who knows how many hours, practicing, warm-ups, clinics..

" and then you want to credit your mom?! with that hit?!"

***

Anyway..  I'm repeating myself.. But I do fully credit my son with making me fall in love with baseball.  -not just the glorious joy of watching him play and evolve since T-ball,

But the game itself.   -last year with my sister, we,

-without the influence of any men, or kids, or sportsfan friends..

-we watched and were completely engaged in the world series.  Too exciting!  and then.. I mean my goodness, to watch the giants come back from a 10-zero loss..   Claim ultimate victory!

Life lessons of the sweetest kind...

***

When I get to talkin' to customers and find out they're baseball fans..

"My son is going to be playing 1st base for the S.F. Giants" I say with a smile..

-usually they take me serious.. And congratulate me..,   then I feel a little guilty, so go like,

"Yep.. In about 10 years or so... ".  -then they get it and smile back.

" I know how to dream," I tell them.  

-because that's where I shine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home