Saturday, March 07, 2015

the most important thing SHE said (johanna ray vollhardt!)

I'm almost too excited to write. Let me breathe in; breathe out.

K!

how to organize?

show: my charlie rose! Of course..
series: brain series.   With my favorite neuroscientist Eric kandel!
topic: aggression

Of course I have a deep and very personal interest in this area having been the victim of..  do I really need to repeat this crazy long list?!

abusive, aggressive alcoholics
bully's on school campus
Serial Rapists
     /forgive my language here Jesus, but

so many just kind of asshole~jerk types in the everyday...

low level aggression to extreme life threatening gun to the head aggression, so yes, you better believe I wanna know what the hell is going on with people?!?  My God..

what have we learned? What have we learned?

Of GREAT IMPORTANCE to (me!) personally..  well, and the words..

-the words as SHE spoke them; the very way SHE said them..

in spirit.. I walked up to the TV screen and kissed her.

"Thank you! Johanna Ray Vollhardt!!".   -it is exactly what I have been trying to say FOR YEARS!!   only..

you say it much better, and provide a wonderful explanation.

of what do I speak?   

There is absolutely NO NEW NEWS at first:

Essentially we are told, that victims of trauma and violence respond in one of two ways:

1. altruistically. -that is, having suffered and knowing how awful, they work to prevent others from having to endure the same.. Also defined as " pro-social."

2. Perpetuating more violence -seeking revenge, repeating the cycle, making sure others experience and know the pain they've suffered by inflicting it on others.   AKA: antisocial.

-we all already know that..  

but see here why I love my charlie rose:  /paraphrase:

"Do we know anything about why someone chooses the altruistic response vs. violent response?"

-this is really where I wish trumpets would blow and a man in a royal costume of some sort would bring a scroll which the entire world population would read together!

Johanna Ray Vollhardt is on the throne; as SHE should be, and summons all of us to read along.  Ready?

"..one of the mechanisms I've been studying is the idea that if you recognize your trauma, and victimization AS SIMILAR to what others have experienced, or are experiencing, or will experience

-that sense of SIMILARITY WITH OTHER GROUPS victimization,

which I call, " INCLUSIVE VICTIM CONSCIOUSNESS" can (I would replace the word can with does!)  -can contribute to the more pro-social path.

Whereas when people think their situation is unique or distinct;/that no one else has suffered in this way, as a group, or as an individual

-that makes violent or destructive response MORE LIKELY"

***

please re-read the above twelve times. Highlight. Process..

ACT on the knowledge that has been gained.

***

what I (me!)... What I have been saying for years!!

STOP telling stories, histories, of oppression, slavery in ISOLATION from one another

DO NOT tell about the black slaves in isolation from the holocaust and the Jews in isolation from the Chinese, the Irish, the Indians..etc, etc, etc!!  Women, gays.. 

It is 2015! For Gods sake.. We have patterns! Look from a greater distance

No matter the group.. The pattern is the same.  Oppression, slavery, evil, violence

-followed by uprisings, a long fight for freedom, human rights..

-followed by victory!  

I KNOW this is the WRITE THING TO DO..  but I have never articulated the WHY..

The WHY.. Was just articulated for (me!) By Johanna Ray Vollhardt:

-I've known it!   -here's the upshot:

-when people are told about their suffering in isolation from the suffering of other individuals or groups, this seems to result in  -anti-social behavior; revenge; perpetuating the cycle of violence.

-when people are told about their (individual or group) suffering ALONG WITH the suffering of others from many walks of life. -this results more often in pro-social behaviors; compassion, efforts to prevent and break and terminate trauma and violence from happening to others.

My God.. We need to ACT on this information; this knowledge.  -the potential impact to reduce suffering and violence is incalculable.

what I wouldn't give to be able to immediately change school curriculums and end any/all classes which teach about slavery of one group in isolation from others.

for this I pray.   Amen!

1 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger SHE said...

Please type Selma in my search bar.. Reread. -super soul Sunday.. I just made this point not too long ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home