Thursday, March 12, 2015

From a place of greater calm. -by (me!) Sandra, tvgp

I am very serious and focused regarding my personal, currently one-woman effort, to entirely eliminate the words 'morbid obesity' from the vocabulary used by both medical insurance companies and the entire healthcare world.  

-had I just fired off a copy of my impulsive reaction which I posted yesterday; that kind of high emotion, cussing, rant, rave can,  -and should, be easily and quickly dismissed. 

I will, within the next week compose a letter which demonstrates some level of maturity; professionalism; forethought, etc.   -and spend some time crafting a letter which even the President of the United States of America could,  -and should, take seriously.

My goal: eliminate 'morbid obesity' as a diagnoses.  Replace those words with an updated vocabulary which can accurately describe weight.   /perhaps we could just note height and weight; period.  Without any words/labels.. I have not figured this part out yet..

My reason:  To use the term 'morbid obesity' in 2015, to describe a child or adults weight, is..

my analogy would be.. Is to try and use the word gay to mean happy.

As we all know, the word gay, no longer means happy.  How and when, I can't be sure, and will not research.. But gay in our current time = homosexual; period.  -whether the dictionary says so or not.  Any prior definition has been usurped..  The connotative, of homosexual  -so vast, ubiquitous, and immediately associated in the mind and consciousness for the word gay, has in fact become; literally evolved into the current denotative

I will skip here diving deeper into the fact that gay seems to = male homosexual.. and we use lesbian for the female..  It is not my point.

My point! is that using morbid obesity clinically is like trying to use gay to mean happy..  It DOESNT WORK.  The definition has long been usurped by ...  Something...  Awful!  In the minds, and consciousness of the public at large..  The way 'morbid' is used on the street, on TV, in literature, in everyday conversation..the colloquial..

'Morbid' = gruesome.  Awful.. Terrible.. Hideous in some way..

so! To use it as a diagnoses at all!  Is morbid in and of itself..  When I think of a child being told by a doctor they are 'morbid..

I almost lose my mind.  Morbid?!? .. when I consider the child is not only told this.. But walks out the door with an official document which puts it in writing..  YOU ARE MORBID...

Oh!  ..my impulse is to wake these doctors up with an alarm that doesn't beep but.. punch.  Know what I mean..   WTF..

K.. Now,   -same with the word obese.  How can i avoid the pun..

We have big issues here!

perhaps medically, clinically we have a harmless definition..  25lbs over the weight as dictated on a chart created by a..

A bunch of f'king IDIOTS!   -/you see I have much work to do taming my tongue.. Controlling my outbursts..  This is just a draft..just a draft..

I will put the entire letter through the holy filter before i actually send it out...     Just a draft..

Where was I?  Yes,  

Obese on the streets, colloquially, in TV, literature..etc.  OBESE means, like,   way~way~way overweight; huge!  Out of control..

So!  let us please ignore the clinical/medical/insurance definition.. As we can clearly see  from my example of gay..

The definition..  Oh! I have another pun I cannot avoid..

The definition that carries all the weight; that matters; that is in the minds, consciousness, -that is the immediate association people make when they hear the word OBESE..

this definition = way~way~out of control huge.

So..  dear doctor..  I am sure..  Very sure you are only some combination of desensitized and ignorant vs.

Consciously evil and deliberately ill-intentioned.

But you did, whether you knew it or not..

You did just take a precious, perfectly healthy, gorgeous 9 year old CHILD..

And implanted a horrific self-image which can potentially result in an variety of neuroses from an unnecessary attack on self-confidence, to eating disorder, to unnecessary preoccupation with body image, calorie counting, etc.

While you went on to potentially devastate your next child/victim unknowingly, the child and family you just dropped the ',morbid obesity' bomb on.. Went home in tears..  Struggling on every level, psychologically, emotionally, physically, spiritually, intellectually -with how to address and process being told by a medical professional they are Gross and out of control huge!

if you thought for a moment that you could say and write 'morbidly obese' about a 9 year old child and just have said child bounce back, and suddenly in a perfectly healthy way.. Adopt the culturally skewed and perverted eating & exercise program that would result in steady healthy weight loss

-that is a sign that you got all the way through medical school without learning a single actual thing about human beings.

Dr Maya Angelou said, "when you know better, -you do better."

NOW YOU KNOW.   NOW YOU KNOW.  

when you say or write ' morbidly obese' the image associated in the minds of the general public is that of something or someone

Gruesome and out of Control huge..

I am quite sure that is not what you mean and not at all what you would say to any child regardless of weight.  "you are gross.. And huge!"

Morbid obese.  These vocabulary words need to be removed; annihilated! from the vernacular. -yesterday.

I have my work cut out, don't I..   It has been in use for several hundred years I'm sure..  In every medical text book, journal..

In the ICVDM  -manuals..  Insurance documents..  Etc. Etc.

I will do what is within my ability to do factoring in all the rest of my life responsibilities.. But I will not ignore or brush this one aside.. Or leave it to someone else.  This one calls me loud and clear..

In Jesus name..  Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home