Friday, March 27, 2015

God Bless Santana. By (me!) sandra, tvgp

the first truck driver gave up.  left.  never came back.   and the only thing that surprised me about that.. is that it was the first time it had ever happened.  Because when I look at the trucks.. some huge, long 53' beds.. and the very narrow size of the driveway they need to enter plus the way they need to angle themselves between two buildings.. add traffic, and cars parked here and there..

well, every time I do see a truck driver negotiate all those obstacles and pull in backwards without taking out a couple pedestrians and half a building or a street lamp.. I'm like.. "Thank you Jesus!"

-honestly it always feels like a small miracle.  Very special gifting.. Driving, backing up..those huge trucks.   And still another miracle to see how we end up getting a hundred boxes to fit in a warehouse designed for 50..  But that will lead me away from today's story.

Today's story is about a very heavily tattooed and handsome young man named Santana.   I shook his hand, "are you named after the musician?".  He just smiled, explained that no, Santana is his last name.. and then he proceeded to ask me where he was supposed to park his truck in order to drop off the 3 pallets of toys we had coming in..

exactly because the last driver gave up, I avoided just pointing and telling, and instead walked him over to the narrow driveway itself.. left no room for guessing..   told him I was amazed each time I witnessed a truck backing in.. ".. But they do do it..  I just helped unload a 53' here Monday morning.."

and then I walked back to the store.. And watched Santana return to  his huge truck temporarily parked on main street; also not exactly designed for trucks of this size..    and then watched a little while longer as he tried to pull back on the street and..   what? turn? U-turn on main street?!? no.. he crossed over to a larger parking lot.. and I could only see the back half of the truck moving forward.. Then stop. Then move backwards. Stop. Forward..  meanwhile a little traffic is building..   I had to get back in the store. So I whispered to myself,  ~dont think we'll be seeing him again either.  -but did the sign of the cross, wished him well

rang up one or two more customers then decided to check out the back door of the store in case a miracle did happen.. And sure enough.. There he was..!   

he somehow made it to St. Marys street and was in the very dangerous process of backing up into the very narrow driveway that leads to our warehouse.. and..  sign of the cross  three more times because it looked like he was going to take out the hair salon and lamp post in one more false move..

"I can't watch..".   -and a customer came asking me to please ring her up...    " Oh Jesus.. help him..".  -and I left.

meanwhile I'm sending the store owner Rick text updates..  He's here but doesn't seem to have the experience the other truck drivers do.. I'm praying.. Im rooting for him!

and Cortney, my coworker friend was on her way back in to help.. and Mark.. another coworker friend.. on the way..

when I finally made it back out to check the status of how much building damage was done to the salon..  and how many women were running around with foils in their hair, and drapes on.. how many stylists running around with scissors in their hands..

I was very relieved to see the building still in tact..  And Santana parked on St. Marys street in a smart and sweet surrender.  He was in the process of lowering the lift gate and would just deliver to the warehouse from there; skip the whole narrow driveway thing.. and add walking distance to the delivery.. But who cares..  All is safe and well..

by this time Cortney had  arrived so I could be with customers.. and shortly after Mark arrived too

"I came down here to rip this guy a new one.. He can't even back up a truck.. he shouldn't even be driving.. !"

"Now, how is that going to help at all?!" I jumped in.."he just doesn't have experience.. how would yelling at him help? That would make it worse..  You could just help him out..  explain.. Or show him.."

And then Mark said something about hopping in the truck and doing it himself..    Because it turns out, he does have the experience.  -but it was never necessary, because it was just 3 pallets and not a big deal really to fork lift them over...

and Santana made a successful delivery; stuck it out.  So, good for you!  -not easy..

And Cortney came to the rescue, and helped out..so, "thank you!"

and Mark stuck around to get the boxes off the pallets and inside the store,  -after already moving two houses worth of stuff earlier in the day, so, "Thank you!"

Rick got his toys delivered, at last!

And Ive been provided with another great opportunity to reiterate my message to the world.  -what the tattoo on my face means to (me!):

"Conquer the world with KINDNESS!"

when someone doesn't know how to do something; lacks experience

-ripping them a new one

demeaning, criticising, yelling..  none of this helps.

Instruction; guidance; help..

there is a popular lesson for writers that goes, "show don't tell."

I feel the same for the public at large with a bit of a twist:

"Show don't yell."

demonstrate; teach; educate..  and there is no substitute for experience itself.

I'm quite aware when these other truck drivers back in so easily and professionally

it is obviously not their first time.   looks like there might be practice and training involved..

and I can't even parallel park my tiny little Saturn hybrid so..

My hat is off to all of you

In Jesus name

Amen.

1 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger SHE said...

And! I need to be my own student here, because.. that was impulsive reaction when I learned about the doctor giving a 'morbidly obese' diagnoses to a perfectly healthy, precious 9 year old child who -maybe!-

and emphasis on maybe.. a few pounds over weight based on what I believe are incorrect charts to begin with..

yes.. I very much want to rip her a new one!

but.. ! I will educate instead; teach.. share my knowledge..

Guide us with love and kindness toward obliterating that vocabulary as a diagnoses..

Amen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home