Tuesday, October 21, 2014

I'M A MEAN, MEAN, MOMMY (me!) sandra, ttgp

original post: 05/23/2007:

thank you to bernie berke, the most patient music instructor in all the milky way galaxy, i
survived my second flute recital at heritage estates in livermore.

"i don't want to go!" my son pleaded, "please don't make me go!"

surprised the shit out of myself when i so quickly sat him down and had a little talk

"i want you to know i was married before i married your father.. and i divorced him too..
want to know why?"

did not wait for answer

"because i supported him in everything he did, but he didn't support me back; that's why!

(direct eye contact/serious voice) ..and now, i go to your practices, and your games, and your school plays, and help in your classroom, and guess what..

you can give me an hour. -support is a two way street mister! -not, i do everything for you, and you do nothing for me (hear song playing? .. me too..)

and i want you to think about two things

one: what it would feel like if when you told me you were in the school play, i said,
"that's nice. have fun."

-and i was gonna yield a break, by letting him sit in the back and leave the recital early

but followed that up with

"and two: think about what it would feel like if when it was your turn to get up on stage and say your lines, people got up and left?"

and the upshot, is that he went.. stayed for the whole thing, along with my daughter, mom and family friend, sue. accidentally enjoyed himself.

and we were treated to a variety of excellent live music performed by outstanding young musicians playing a variety of instruments

-no place i'd rather be on a sunday afternoon ")

and i've just thought so much about that conversation with my son..

he'll make a great husband one day

"but remember.." i tell my children. "marriage is not mandatory. -one of many options."

4 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger Jim Ott said...

Congratulations on your recital and your frank talk with your son.

Looks like the event was wonderful!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger singleton said...

Ah, man, you play the flute? God, I love it. We used to have a friend, Terry, who would climb up onto the second story roof top and play the flute to the morning sun and later, the stars. i used to sit in the grass, Indian style, just staring at the skies, listening to the windchimes he created, dreaming....I can still see his silhouette now!
You are truly remarkable, girl!

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger SHE said...

thanks jim! -and now i know how to torture my son

"are you going to do your homework now or do i have to get out my flute?"

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger SHE said...

singleton -love that image/and where is terry now?

if i tried to play from a rooftop tonight, i'd just get pushed off

...but, my year will come!

practice/practice/drink n' practice ")

 

Post a Comment

<< Home