Monday, February 25, 2013

THE BIBLE SAYS THAT?! By (me!) Sandra, tvgp

Really, really, I have to write that book one day: the bible says that? I'm just constantly amazed at the difference in what I read vs. Hear at church, on tv, etc. And because I lived the majority of my life in the secular ..im privileged to understand what messages/stories slip through to the general population out of context.. Like I know The resurrection of Jesus is the entire foundation of the Christian faith.. Dead, and back to life. But it's not often (ever?) mentioned just how many came back to life.. Matthew 27:51-54. At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split and the tombs broke open. THE BODIES OF MANY HOLY PEOPLE WHO HAD DIED WERE RAISED TO LIFE. They came out of the tombs after Jesus' resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people. When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, "Surely he was the Son of God!". -do you know in ALL my watching, visiting churches ...in all the Easter services, etc. I have never heard (or did not retain?) that many holy people were brought back to life... How many? Who exactly? And I try to imagine the city with all these holy people brought back to life walking around... And out of order, but Matthew 50: we see this happened as "Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.". ..like his holy spirit was transferred into the local cemetery.. So here's what doesn't make sense to me.. One of the stories/meaasages that seaps into the secular world, is that Jesus is..well, -Jesus!- son of God, and we attribute a lot to the fact that he was resurrected. -conquered even death. But seems to me, it is often communicated as Jesus being the only one who came back to life. We focus all our attention on his resurrection. But.. If we have many holy people brought back to life? -and so actually, as I read/understand this... It is the testimonies that when he gave his own life (spirit) he is the only one with the power to resurrect the life of others.. So, that seems like the awesome Easter story to me personally: not only did Jesus come back to life...but only when Jesus died, could other lives be resurrected; -and that seems to be what Jesus has the eternal power to do.. Spiritually speaking: bring people back to life. *** ***. And! Seems to me, it is also often, almost exclusively communicated that the villain.. Is Pilate, and he is of course.. But who was ultimately responsible for crucifying Jesus? .. This fascinated me also: Luke 23:12. that day, Herod and Pilate became friends -before this they had been enemies. Pilate called together the chief priests, the rulers and the people, and said to them, "you brought me this man as one who was inciting the people to rebellion. I have examined him in your presence and have found no basis for your charges against him. Neither has Herod, for he sent him back to us; as you can see, he has done nothing to deserve death. Therefore I will punish him and then release him.". With one voice - they - cried out, "away with this man! release barabbas to us!" ...etc, to... With loud shouts insistently demanded Jesus be crucified and their shouts prevailed. -so!- I feel little technical difficulties with the Apostles creed.. And think how often people say "they did it!" or "they made me do it!" and now -they- are very real and anonymous simultaneously aren't -they. *END* independent bible study lessons for the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home