Sunday, October 07, 2012

DEAR FUTURE FILMMAKER OF MY LIFE... from (me!) sandra, tvgp

these scenes show up in my mind's eye, often and unannounced: how pathetically easily influenced i am.. (was) oh, -am. it's terrible. but can you get this for me please.. the younger writer attending yet another seminar on how to get published.. and at this seminar the speaker says how very important it is -very important!- to "honk your own horn" -no one else is gonna do it for you... write. and how is any editor/agent/publisher gonna know how great you are unless you tell them.. and so my whole next batch of submissions all arrive with a cover letter that reads like, well ...hubris... comes to mind. and then only months later, at the next how to get published seminar, the man says the polar opposite of what the last man said.. now i'm convinced i look like a complete conceited idiot in the first batch.. and have to change my name and my cover letter, and start again.. -because, suddenly honking your own horn is out, and humble is in.. retract, retract, retract.... from highly entertaining master level short story writer and keynote speaker to.. local girl lookin' for a chance to maybe one day write and read for a larger audience than my mom and my sister... turns out neither one ever worked for me. hubris or humility. -back again, to feeling like little red blogging hood keep returning here, where i'm not too hot, not too cold; everything always feels just write.

1 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

I hear ya with the marketing thing, hon. Lately, I've had this attitude about submitting my work. I haven't been. I've been writing for ME and not an editor. It's enjoyable and I'm earning about as much money as I would if I sent out submissions--which is nothing! HA!

The only thing I can tell you is, if you really want a larger audience, keep at it. Submit your work, advertise yourself, list your publication history, get reviews on your website, etc. Let your resume, reviews and readers brag for you. And don't give up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home