Thursday, February 05, 2015

Super Soul Sundays (jack kornfield!) as seen by (me!) Sandra, tvgp

Notes:

-yes; a pretty fully evolved human being. I am a fan of his teachings.

Of special interest to me.. His father, "a brilliant biophysicist who had an explosive temper and was prone to streaks of violence.".  -it is also shared, that he beat his wife; jack kornfields mom.

In my almost 50 years here.. I am left unable to count the number of people who I've either personally encountered; heard about or read about..

That are -by external standards, 'highly successful'.   -and yet by internal standards; severely lacking. terribly unhealthy; unevolved; unhappy..

External standards = academic degrees; wealth; status; title; influence; power; authority; expertise

Internal standards = manifestation of, practice of: love, peace, joy patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, self control

Or by kornfields Buddhist influenced description: compassion born through meditation and mindfulness; enlightenment; peace..

"However you get there:  towards love, peace, patience, self control..

Just get there."   -that's what I say with a smile.

I must also type out his response to why he became a monk:

"I became a monk partly because I read these cool books about zen masters and I said, 'I wonder if there still are any?'. -and partly because I had so much suffering in my family and nothing in my education taught me about my emotional life

Or my values

How do I live?   <------ that wasn't part of the curriculum

Now it is.   

I graduated from ivy league education, Dartmouth college; but it was only 1/2 of an education.

I learned science, history, philosophy

But nobody taught me how to deal with my fear or my anger

Nobody taught me how to [deal with] emotional stuff -which is what plays out in our lives."

***

Amen kornfield!   Amen to that!

-exactly why I believe in SPIRITUAL SCHOOL!    -we can't have religious school because..  Too much separation/interpretation, dogma, doctrine, rules...   Which one would we send everyone to?

But spiritual things!  Like love, peace, joy, compassion, self-governance..     No one religion or faith system (or lack of) has the monopoly..  They belong to all of humanity

INNER LIFE 101..   Introducing you to your... Self...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home