Friday, November 28, 2014

"That's my girl!" (Taryn!).. Bragging writes for (me!) -writeousmom

There is a sometimes unspoken, and sometimes verbalized culturally dictated rule here in pleasanton, california

That one "should not brag too much about their own children."

-like, who made up that stupid rule i'd like not to know..

I will spare you my dissertation on the topic, -but really?!  

It is okay for us to plant lies;  foster, perpetuate and spread insecurities every single frickin' day via mass media in the name of industry, profit and capitalism..

But not okay to speak the truth?!  To give credit where credit is due?!

Well, if you are sensitive to, or offended in any way when a proud parent starts talking about their childs accomplishments..

Stop reading write about.....

Here:

-because i remember the first time i saw it...  

A report card with straight A's.  -never in my family had anyone ever..   Certainly I never even came close!   I wont confess how long i stared at and admired it..  Re-glanced at it on frequent occasions

I said with a smile to my daughter, "i always did wonder what one of those looked like..

IT IS A BEAUTFUL SIGHT TO BEHOLD!".    -very pretty, all lined up in a row like that..  All CAPS, some with +'s too

A
A+
A
A+
A
A

" A is for awesome!" I tell her...  "And amazing!"

-the thing about it is..  She is entirely self-motivated.. Straight A's in our family is not something that was demanded; expected.. But rather only hoped for..    And i know, my exhusband, her father, created additional incentives..  Financial/material..

But i think and believe, in the absence of any such extra incentive, she would perform to the same internalized high standard, exactly because  -it is internalized.

We.. Me, and her father.. Cannot take any credit..  Maybe for loving, and encouraging, yes..  But thats about it.

I marvel.. Because  -well when I look at what it really takes to achieve such a thing..

The desire. The self-discipline. The devotion of time and energy. The focus!

Especially in a world full of chronic and multiple distractions!  It is my opinion that today's straight A's are much more impressive and valuable than previous generations because the obstacles are greater..

..the way one must prioritize..  Know and understand each unique teacher; their individual criteria..    How to take notes; study..

Prepare for and pass tests..

All this while simultaneously navigating -life.   High school life.. Which all parents, adults are aware yields its own set of complicated, confusing, crazy social circumstances..

And yet..  She's done it!   -her freshmen year, sophomore year, junior year, and into her senior year..    "Awesome! Amazing!"

With great consistency.

Now.. As well as I remember seeing that first straight A report card and marveling at its beauty..

I also remember her first B.    I said with a smile to her,

I said, "you know what that stands for don't you..

B-oyfriend."

Who among us has not been distracted? Slightly thrown off course..

-but she is living AND learning..

LIVING. & LEARNING.

And her recovery was equally impressive.  My sense is that she will always rebound  -under any circumstance, back to this internalized high standard..

She has -herself-  created great study habits..

I am very proud of her!  But its not just the grades.. Its the young woman she has become..  A great listener; observer; growing in good judgement of what is write and wrong in this world..

She is "chill" -as the colloquial saying goes; not a drama queen. She has and is a good friend, she is creative, innovative, curious, intelligent, compassionate, self-aware, funny and kind and thoughtful..  -she is real.. She is humble..   She is loving..

She is the light of my world!  And to top it all off

SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!    I am almost done bragging, -promise..

But,

And it is against my nature really to place emphasis on physical appearance..

But it cannot be denied..  SHE IS A TRUE BEAUTY..

Stunning to my eyes..

-to get to witness her from birth.. Into this beautiful young woman,

Living, learning, discovering who she is and has the potential to become..

I count it among my greatest blessings..

"Thank You!" Jesus

Amen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home