Tuesday, May 27, 2014

BECOMING A PAPER ARTIST (me!) Sandra, tvgp

Tomorrow night I will teach people how to turn empty wine bottles into beautiful home decor...  But I would have never created a mosaic wine bottle, the unique way I do, without first having created this:  /picture below.  

My favorite art form is mosaic.  The most popular form usually involves glass tiles..or broken glass; broken China.  I think broken things put back together with an artistic eye are far more beautiful and Interesting and valuable than unbroken originals.   Like, even if I owned the most rare, the most expensive China in the world.. I would not hesitate for one second before handing it over to a talented mosaic artist

"I'm going to break it.. And then let you do your thing"

And to me..  The mosaic form..  Does nothing but increase its value.

I suspect God thinks this way too.  ..that even if you are born.. Perfect and healthy in every way

Being broken and put back together with loving eyes and hands..

Increases your value.  -the good you can do and be in this world.

/which, I should also point out, is broken.   -in the process of being put back together I believe..  But anyway

Here is my story.  I love mosaics.  -without a single lesson, or book or help from a video, I decided one day to make one.  Ordered tiles.. Bought some grout, picked a surface for my masterpiece..

Oh my goodness! In a creative frenzy.. I created this table top.  I am certain I made every mistake possible; every mistake anyone has ever already made and a few of my very own.  It was an agonizing experience.  Especially the part where I poured the grout and it drowned all my tiles.. And even when I scraped..  My tiles were drowned..  I had to take a toothbrush to each Individual one and try to rescue..  I did the best I could.  -those are my children's handprints in the center; my favorite part.

Anyway..

I had not worked with tiles before; nor have I since..

But! I loved the grout; that look...the texture..

So I decided at some point to keep the grout, throw out the tiles and work instead with my favorite medium; paper!  ..beautiful designer paper.

Do I even need to tell you how much easier it is to tear paper than cut glass?

But upon first glance at my wine bottles /I think the picture will land above..

Most people think the paper is broken plates..

Just using the grout with the paper gives this beautiful effect..

I'm so pleased with the results there is no desire in me to ever turn back

I just keep on designing more..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home