Tuesday, April 08, 2014

TITHE at TOWNE CENTER BOOKS by (me!) Sandra, tvgp

Once again, Leonard stegmann's blog has triggered a memory:  its not of my own short stop moments though..  /but I looked at his 'bad memories' box and thought..  If only! .. One small cardboard box..really?  I would need a storage unit..

Anyway.. What it triggered is my huge frustrations with CORPORATIONS..namely these loathesome words:

"We have to check with the corporate office"

I feel my temperature rising already!  The total lack of any autonomy at all.. Under any circumstance.. 

I have 500 examples, but will offer up just this one:

(Me!) At a local corporate/chain BOOK store..

"Can you tell me where the community board is for local literary events?". [I have a flyer for upcoming event to post]

Them:  "We don't have a community board"

(Me!):  "are you sure?  You're a BOOK store..  You don't have a bulletin board where people can check out local literary events? That doesn't make sense to me"

I get no points for etiquette here..

Anyway.. I knew from experience that if I posed even one more question I would get the automatic 'everything has to go through corporate' speech and so I bid  farewell and drove next to see Judy, at Towne Center Books on main street in downtown pleasanton

"Ah....  An INDEPENDENTLY owned book store...with real autonomous humans..  Who actually SUPPORT  -local LITERARY EVENTS-

And "look!"....   A community board!    

Everything makes sense again ...

I am write with the world.

Filed under:  places I tithe.  And you should too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home