Friday, April 04, 2014

THE ART in MERCHANDISING.. By (me!) Sandra, tvgp

Now.. This picture doesn't do it justice.. My little mini masterpiece in the center of the floor..  The colors around and behind distract.. But! If I could isolate it..  Let me speak of the joy.. And thank my merchandising angels..   First: I had cleared the entire space.  Sometimes I like to add/fill, but its most exciting to wipe an entire shelf, or shelving unit,  or an entire section clean out and start from scratch.. So! I had this empty space..  And in another part of the store.. These crates..  And rick comes walking by and sets these dry silk flowers.. "Mark them down and do something with these"  -and I get the feeling he doesn't much care for them; find them very appealing, but I'm write away creatively salivating:  oh! What can we do with these beauties?!  I check out their stems for length.. I look at the crates.. Crates.. Length of stems..  And then "look!" How the colors complement each other.. And the style!  So I grab a crate, flip it up write.. And start arranging..  As if the crate were a large vase.. Move this here.. That there, etc.  -remember what a beautiful piece of red fabric is in the back office.. Go grab it..  Work it inside the crate.. Tug here, fold there.. Oh! The colors together! This combination of textures: wood crate, flowers, fabric..  They were meant to be! .. Grab the other crate, angle it low and kitty korner.. And look! That clear glass bowl-ish container filled with candles in time with black labels!  -how perfect!  And oh! I remember this industrial looking mirror w/shelf I passed several times -let me go grab that and put it there...  I wish I could isolate those things together to show you and remove everything else from the picture: the two crates, the flower arrangement, the glass bowl and mirror w/shelf..  Because to someone like (me!).  This combination of texture, colors, style, objects, heights, weights, arranged in this way..  ;Golden.   And what I personally take great pleasure in; it is not knowing what I'll be handed to work with.. But coming up with something once an object or idea has be provided to me.   There is no advance planning.. No big space to "preview"..   You create as it comes; on the spot; in the moment.. And! In between ringing up customers, helping customers, and answering phones, and accepting shipments.. Any variety of interruptions which can not and are not treated as interruptions..  But I use the word only to describe and explain there are many stops and starts.. It is not the exclusive project and I like that aspect too..  Because as you move around the store new objects pop out as potential candidates for the next masterpiece you see..    And I confess here.. I do talk to the merchandise.. "I see you! You might be next..."  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home