Monday, March 24, 2014

PUBLIC "THANK YOU!" To (SAINT PATRICK!) From (me! & sarah!)

Sunday morning, march 23, 2014.  -redemption!

***

To my nephew (who declined the invitation to go 4 leaf clover hunting with me and his younger sister) I explained:

That when I was around 8 or 9 or 10 years old.. I had found a 4 leaf clover (that was good luck!).  But that same day I would enter an ice cream/candy store and trade my 4 leaf clover for...

A bag of peanut brittle!   Yes, that's write..  A bag of peanut brittle which anyone could find anywhere, any time.. 

I handed over the rare and wonderful for the plentiful and sweet.

It has remained all these hundreds of years later one of my biggest G-rated regrets.  I try not to be too hard on myself.. I was very young and literally born with a sweet tooth; my mom has pictures..  First word was 'cookie'

Anyway..  At that time I would have handed over a gold nugget for a chocolate bar because I had no understanding of how capitalism worked. I only knew that  -well, you can't eat a gold nugget now can you?

I have on occasion glanced through fields and patches of clovers over the years and have always come up empty.  I now know that is because I was missing two key ingredients:  my niece and prayer:

We held hands and I said, "repeat after me..". And she said "after me.".   -good, k

Me:  "oh! Saint Patrick.."

Sarah:  "oh! Saint Patrick"

Me: "help us find a four leaf clover today"

Sarah: "help us find a four leaf clover today"

Me: "in Jesus name! Thank you! Amen!"

Sarah: "in Jesus name! Thank you! Amen!"

And with that we headed over with our blanket to the greenbelt nearby and began our search... 

I was thinking to myself.. Well, I had recently watched the original of the movie, charlie and the chocolate factory.. In that search: for .. The golden ticket...  Well there was at least some knowledge that there were 5 golden tickets... -somewhere.

But we had no knowledge whether -somewhere- in this field there IS a 4 leaf clover...  We could easily be searching in vain, couldn't we..

This thought became more pronounced the longer we looked..

At some point we decided to move down the sidewalk road a little and set up a new camp..

That turned out to be a lucky move

"Say another Thank you! To St Patrick!".  -I found the first 4 leaf clover and now sarah knew exactly what they looked like

-its very easy to be fooled.. A 3 leaf clover with one pedal torn in two; which at first glance looks then like a 4 leafer..

And so often they are touching, overlapping, these clovers.  Several times a 4 leaf clover turned out really to be two clovers with one pedal looking like it belonged to the other clover..

But she did find the 2nd of what would would become a 3 4-leaf clover yield..

"1, 2, 3, 4!..  Its a real one auntie sandy!"

And we high-fived each other, and hugged and looked for more..

Its interesting how funny we become if and when we are in possession of a treasure.. Something really... Something -we perceive- as highly 

  valuable.

"Grab them!"  -sarah said, when she spotted a dog and his owner about 1/4 mile away..


And when we set them beside us, and accidentally moved them when we shifted on the blanket, "be very careful!" I said

And I would get all uneasy -the way she held them when I was trying to get a picture.. A mild fear that she was going to rip or tear one..

Did she understand how precious? Rare? Wonderful?   -she was just a bit too casual for my taste..

-this is how subtle the shift is; I realized and then shifted to make it fun again..

"Grandma's here!". -we saw her driving to the house and so decided to pack up after finding THREE.. And call it a day.   

I will not be trading even one for a bag of peanut brittle I can promise you.  They will be dried, and framed.    I feel very lucky to have learned a few lessons along the way.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home