Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Q: "what nationality are you?" By (me!) Sandra, tvgp

My sister reminded me recently about how we dreaded that question in our youth. -reason being, everyone else seem to have a solid answer that would roll off their tongue, and we never actually -knew.  Ask two different parents; get two different vague answers, which seemed to change if and when we asked again.  Truth is, I don't think they really knew..  So, 'heinz 57' became the standard reply..  Colloquial term borrowed from whatever kind person thought it up first..  'A big mix.. 57 different nationalities; american muts'.  -now, we've since traced a lot of irish..  Indian, French..  And lots more..But I have always also known, not by blood but by observation, that I have Italian in me. I learned this in the fourth grade when the principal stopped me mid-sentence and said, "sandy I want you to sit on your hands".  -and when I did..  I couldn't talk anymore in complete sentences, -only stutter.  I need my hands to talk.  Word on the street was that Italians talk with their hands..  So obviously then I must have Italian in me.  I also learned along the way that I must be part black.  I learned this first when I was at the movies.. And the white audience sat so quiet and still.. But the black audience would get all involved in the story and talk out loud to the screen..  I'll never forget the first time i was told to 'shhhhh' at the movies.. 'You are not my people' I thought to myself.. 'They are!'. And so that's how I knew I was part Italian and part black.. But I had this confirmed at church and on the dance floor..  I also remember in elementary school being taught about the spirituality of the native Indians.. How they respected the land and each other and how they were dominated by the 'white man' with guns.  In those stories I always related better with the Indians..  I believe in rain dancing and honoring spirits.. So really, I figured things out on my own along the way: I am part Italian, part black, part Indian.  I learned I was part Asian during a stroll at a flea market..  My white friends/family always dressed me in matching clothes that were 'in season'.  It never much mattered to me.. Well,  that is a bit of an exaggeration... What happened is that I observed that this was VERY IMPORTANT to my friends and family, and so it better become important to me too..  But at the flea market I saw a beautiful Asian Woman..  She was wearing striped pants that in no way complemented or matched her print blouse. The colors did not match, the patterns each did their own thing..  And yet she seemed as happy as could be.   So even if my family didn't know officially via professional genealogy research or DNA tracking.. I knew I was part asain too.  Italian, black, Indian, Asian...  The O'Riley sir name would lock in my irish heritage..  And the fact I love beer and green is my favorite color..  But -keeping my arms still when I dance? If I can't talk without my hands it only stands to reason that I cannot dance without my arms.. The same thing happens: my feet can't move only stutter..  So that helped me start figuring out percentages: like I must be only half irish...   Also, I shared some kind of connection.. Unexplained but profound the first time I saw Russell crowe on the big screen...  And I knew!  In that magical, I ntuitive, mysterious way,  that -whatever he is; I am that too.   What is he?  Anyway..  One day we will make this all scientifically valid..  And all that..  But I know I have relatives from Spain!  And Russia..  And based on my reaction to certain climates: I am Hawaiian..  Took to the hula like a coconut to the tree.. Plus, its what I was designed for; to be cracked open.    -what about you?  If I pick your brain for your thoughts instead of your finger for blood; who are you? Who are your people?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home