Tuesday, March 18, 2014

On a sleepless night in spring (II) by (me!) Sandra, tvgp

My mind Insisted on telling me a sad story.  "It will help you fall asleep," she promised.  And so I agreed to listen, -but with my eyes closed.

"There was a lost and lonely man of middle age," she began, "who did not know even one relative.  His parents died early and did not leave him anything in the way of monetary, spiritual, or factual information." She explained.  

That is a sad story, I said to my mind

She continued to tell me about how he lived in the early 21st century, so in order to put an end to the haunting questions, 'who am I? Why am I here? Where am I headed'.  -all he had to do was invest some time and resources into hiring a professional genealogist and the answers would come...

The internet did make that kind of thing much easier than before, I confirmed with my mind.

"So," she said, "he invested all kinds of time filling out forms, and spent all kinds of money to have his ancestry researched"

"What did he learn?" I Inquired,  -awake, but still with my eyes closed.

"He was given a very old black and white picture of two men and one woman, who he was told was his great, great, aunt and her brother, his uncle, and her husband.   And we studied the picture very closely.. Which he did often and with a magnifying glass..  Yes! He could see a resemblance!   It was expensive and took a long time, but it was well worth it! To finally feel connected to his past..  It gave him a new confidence in the present.  He felt..  More grounded one might say."

That doesn't seem so sad...  His longing was fulfilled, I said to my mind.

"I'm not done." She whispered,

"His new found confidence allowed him to date for the very first time since.. Too long to remember. ".  She said,

"And she breaks his heart," I concluded

"No," she said smiling, "that's not how this ends"

She went on to describe a beautiful, although quite typical, courtship:  phone calls, emails, texts.. And an eventual in person date that went so well..   She invited him to her home for you know...

"A nightcap" I said to my mind, with my eyes still closed and a smile on my face.

"Yes," she confirmed, "a nightcap".   -both of us knowing what that really meant.

"The next morning," she continued, "in the light of a new day, as he walked down her hallway toward the kitchen, to his utter amazement, shock and disbelief and confusion..  He saw hanging on her wall, the exact same picture as was sitting on his fireplace mantel:   his! HIS great, great aunt, great, great uncle, her brother and her husband..  HIS relatives"

-this is not like some family/incest story is it?! I said to my mind.. Because I have no Interest.  -the smile gone from my face.

"No," she promised..  And went on to tell me about their next date.. Where they each discovered they had each spent over $4700 to a fraudulent genealogist and were provided false information and fake pictures."

"But for the time they did believe..." I said to my mind..

"Yes." She said..  

"You're write,"  I said to my mind,  -that story is very sad and on several different levels.  I'm going to try and get some sleep now.

"Not so fast," she said,  "type it now, or it's gone forever after."

The end.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home