Wednesday, January 22, 2014

"KISSIN' THE CHOCOLATE BLUES" by (me!), starring (faith alpher!)

Tickets On Sale Now: FirehouseArts.org.   -my onstage valentine to Dr Maya Angelou...   Tues. Feb 11th, 7pm.

CHERISHED Memory Locked In:   dear Jesus..  I felt your presence... During the dry read with my daughter. I felt it in the outdoors, where we sat next to each other.. In the nature around us, in the warmth of the sun shine you provided.. But.. As we read!  ..that magical/intuitive thing that happened.. How she knew exactly when the words became too tough for me to read, and would pick up immediately for me and keep reading .. So beautifully! Without skipping a beat, as they say... Until I could read again without getting choked up.. The silent understanding and rhythm the reading took on without any preparation...   I felt your presence and want to say "thank you! Thank you! Thank you Jesus!"

Now.. Truth is.. I was still getting choked up during certain scenes during the dry read..  I prayed on this and with Faith (spiritually and literally)  attended our 1st rehearsal not knowing if I could get through it..  I am so thankful and excited to report I made it through the entire script with only 1 -minor-  setback, from which my recovery was pretty quick.   I do not have any techniques up my sleeve, or anywhere for that matter, for controlling my emotions when I read out loud like that..  Well, actually I have one. One technique outside of prayer:  to read the challenging paragraphs out loud when I'm alone, over and over -surrendering to the tears when they come.. And then, it seems to happen naturally/organically, that the emotion subsides; lessens with each read until at last it disappears for good.  But.. What a fine line! Holding onto the power without sounding detached.  Communicating Emotional pain but without crying...  RELATED Memory: rakestraw books:  a conversation I heard.  I overheard actually, while shopping for a book.  A lady had just been to meet/hear an author..  Who/where, etc I don't remember. What I do remember is that with a very distinct uppity tone, she talked about how the author cried during her own reading..  The lady said, "how egotistical is that? To be moved by your own words?".  And I did not intervene..  I was eavesdropping after all, but I thought..  God, - she is clueless!  That probably had nothing to do with ego and everything to do with emotional pain rearing its ugly wet head..  I can promise you this, as far as my experience goes..  If and when I accidentally and against my will, cry some, get choked up during a reading of my own words. It is certainly NOT because I think my words are so beautiful and moving that, "I can even bring myself to tears..". It IS because..  The memories still hurt.

BACK TO TOPIC:  I'm very pleased with our 1st rehearsal!  Faith/jessica; awesome!  Julie, andrea.. Valuable feedback, beautiful flyers..  The chemistry/present..  Collaboration; blessed..   Ideas for improvement ~ wonderful.    I'm filled with a larger confidence and anticipate a solid 2nd rehearsal .. Then its showtime!   .. And I've always wanted to say "Thank You!" To Dr Maya Angelou in a bigger way than just a card or a letter.. In this regard, I feel like an unarticulated dream is coming true..   Thank you Jesus! Amen

#firehouseartcenter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home