Tuesday, November 12, 2013

WILL YOU TELL HIM I SAID THANK YOU poem in progress by (me!) Sandra, tvgp

I have been invited to read a poem at a local church this coming up sunday.. On the topic of gratitude. And before our conversation even got started the words, and memories, and title were coming to me.. I knew immediately what I would write about. I change some details to protect privacy.. But the birth of this poem in progress is based on a one time encounter with a woman I spoke to after noticing the deep pain and confusion in her eyes. Briefly.. She looked to be somewhere in her 80's let's say.. And she had just been to see her brother, who was dying. There was a tone in her voice of shock.. Shock that he was dying, and then shock again, because 'but, he was such a good person'. -she said it in such a way that it sounded to me like she didn't already know that good people die. And so I was shocked, that she was shocked. How do you make it to 80 years old and still seem so genuinely caught off guard by death? It's one of humanities great common denominators. But it was what she said about her brother that my heart clung to: "..he was such a good person!". And I said, during a much longer conversation.. I'm very glad to learn he was a good person during his life here.. Will you please tell him I said thank you." -and thanking the good people in this world (not of this world) is the inspiration for my poem. I am very -very- grateful for good people. Lord knows I've encountered enough of the other type...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home