Monday, November 11, 2013

PROPERLY TRAINED as seen by (me!) Sandra, tvgp

He told me about taking the girls shopping.. One 15 year old, two 16 year olds.. They tried on the high heel shoes.. 6" or better.. Practiced walking in them. Then headed over to Victorias secret... I said, "well, they've been properly trained by our culture haven't they..". Our daughters get the same message about 1000 times a week.. In a variety of different mediums.. From tv, to commercials, to lyrics in music, to comments made by dads, brothers, uncles, -each other. Popular culture. Meanwhile.. Our boys, our sons.. Minds are being dominated by video games.. Graphic, violent, ugly to the point of prostitutes being kidnapped at gun point; and this is "entertainment" I keep fighting the good fight... Lose some battles, break even sometimes...occasionally make a break through. But overall.. Culturally speaking.. It's a sad story unfolding at a rapid pace. I don't judge the teenagers for taking the bait they are clearly drowning in...the odds are so stacked against them! So stacked against decent parents... But when HP asked if I wanted to see the new Vegas movie.. And tried to convince me the story "was good.." -because an old guy who is going to marry a young woman actually ends up with someone closer to his age.. I know the text plot = yet another silver screen showing of dancing sex pots.. And if I went the entire rest of my adult life without having that shoved in my face... Heaven on earth. "you can go see that one with my dad" I told him. I wanted, given the choice.. To see, cloudy with a chance of meatballs II. I loved the first one! But it was not showing anytime soon so we left altogether. I have been a victim of.. Participant in.. And rebel against my culture. It rotates to this day. But overall.. At my current age.. I see culture as a cocoon.. We are wrapped up in it.. Like it or not.. We grow inside it... But the ultimate goal.. Is to break free from it. And fly away. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home