Monday, May 27, 2013

21 REASONS I LOVE TO BLOG (me!) sandra, tvgp

in progress:


#1.  external memory storage.   i can't tell you how many memories tucked within my blog here would be forgotten if i hadn't blogged them..   people, times, places, experiences, victories, failures, lessons..  and i don't have to remember the whole thing..  if i can get myself to remember just the name of a restaurant, or a couple words from a larger conversation.  type that in the search field, the entire story pops up...   !....   amazing.

example:  i ask my son, "do you remember the curse you were under after changing the radio station during a paul mccartney song?"  

he answers, "kinda..., but not really."

  -truth is, i don't remember that well either.  i remember it was funny, but 3 years ago? 4? when exactly? details?  no idea.   -and no problem!   i go to the search bar, type in paul mccartney, and here you go:

ESPECIALLY FOR LEONARD STEGMANN

so, it's wonderful for current external memory storage..  anything i blogged from august 2005 forward,  but nothing is more gratifying to me than what happened when i tried to recall and blog a memory from my youth about being in a bank when it was being robbed.   to my complete and utter surprise, the best friend i mention in the story, who i hadn't seen or heard from in years -she shows up in the blogosphere and types HER memories of the event in the comments!  and then, add icing, because later, the ex-boyfriend i mention in the story who helps capture the bad guys    -we re-connect thank you to facebook and a Hayward friends reunion, and he agrees to put HIS memories of the event in comments!   -and it fascinates me to no end, to see how different our memories are... and yet similar; the perspectives.  same bank robbery from 3 different points of view; 20+ years later.  and not all professionally edited, or sculpted into a marketable/commercial story.  raw.  real.  straight from our hearts and faulty memories.   -and none of this possible without first; my blog.

ok. wait a minute.  actually my best friend, sue~sue's comments in the blogosphere show up to my complete and utter surprise after I posted the grand theft auto story..  and then we were back in touch after many years of losing touch, and she agreed to write her memories of the bank robbery story in comments.   -see how easily memories get tangled...

but i select this post, and these comments as the #1 reason i love to blog.  in fact, the #1 reason i love my blog:

SHADY CHARACTERS


#2.  blogs are interactive.  you read AND respond.   without that feature, the comments i treasure so much in the bank robbery story wouldn't exist.   it's not the first or last time i'll say this,  "revolutionary!"   -it is being able to respond to what I've read that has kept me returning to LeonardStegmann.blogspot.com for 8 years now.  5 days a week, for 8 years he has posted blogs, and 5 days a week for nearly 8 years, i have read and responded in comments.  there is no way to quantify the way in which this has enhanced and enriched my day to day life.

it's almost impossible to pick a favorite from our interactive exchanges..  but very near the top, would be the following linked group of exchanges because, while they were posted months and even years apart; they build off each other in the most playful way, and therefore must be read in order to be fully appreciated.

example:  first you must know about his naked Hawaiian girl calendar.  you will notice he has posted this story, like, 3 times!  Monday, November 07, 2005; Friday August 13, 2010, and again, Thursday August 26th, 2010.   To follow our communication you must read the posts and my comments in chronological order; have fun.

"that damn naked hawaiian girl calendar!"

-k,  once you read his post and comments, you must now read unhappy new year.  he posted this story twice:  sunday, jan 03,  2010 and again Friday oct 22nd, 2010.   read posts/comments in chronological order and then we are headed back over to my blog

unhappy new year        -heartbreaking isn't it.

but what are friends for  -write.   now read:

"ALOHA SQUIDMANN!"

but it doesn't end there...   now you must go back to leonard's blog and read:

"nipples"    which he also posted a few times.  tues sept 4th, 2007; Friday march 12, 2010; Friday may 6th 2011.

my comments on the may 6th 2011 refer back to the aloha squidmann post; see.    -and for me, great fun!


#3.  my Verily own spellin' grammar and punksh!-you!~ation.    the less rules i have to follow, the more fun the writing.  the empty canvas nature of a blog post screen is very liberating.  i noticed when i write intuitively vs. as i was trained   -everything is better.   i enjoy the process more AND the results seem more creative; sometimes aesthetically pleasing in a way formal tradition will never yield.  i realize it is off-putting for some people.  i like to say, "read me for content, not appearance"   i will show an example here where the paragraph/line breaks which happen intuitively during the writing process serve as a great guide for the pace at which the sentences/story should be read:   /plus, i love having this memory captured:

The After Dinner Mint


#4I can talk to myself.  the interactive feature/comments section of a blog was made for readers to respond, but I find sometimes I like to comment on my own writing (talk to myself... add on a line I forgot in the post...   correct the spelling of word and let that be seen vs. correct it in the post so no one ever knows...    ;that kind of thing).




#5.  I hate being edited.   -that's write.  who doesn't.   -but here's the awesome, wonderful things about blogs:  I find it much easier to allow an editor to chop or change or add what they want -AS LONG AS I CAN PUT MY ORIGINAL WORK ON MY BLOG.   one of many examples here:

(maselli bros story here)



#6   (imaginary conversation with eric kandel)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home