Tuesday, January 15, 2013

3RD PERSON SINGULAR PRESENT INDICATIVE OF BE? by (me!) sandra, tvgp

me: "you have much homework to finish?"

son: "just a few grammar questions"

me: "i'm so sorry to hear that.. grammar. eeww. better you than me"

son: "do you know what a predicate don... noma~nitive something is?"

me: "no idea"

son: "we have to put PN over those"

me: "you just reminded me of the class i HATED! the most, most, most.. it was a class like that.. but i took it in college"

son: "college?"

me: "oh my God! it was like, the STUPIDEST! class.. underlining certain words, circling others.. analyzing and breaking down sentences... i HATED IT! and you know what.. but i love reading and writing, so let me tell you something -there is absolutely no correlation between loving words and loving grammar

son: "is, is a verb"

me: "no. verbs are action words"

son: "no. it's a verb.. he is running"

me: "no. running is the verb. that's where the action is.."

son: "it's a helping verb i think"

me: "what nonsense is that? a helping verb? "

son: "wanna bet? $5"

me: "you're on! is, is so not a verb. wanna double down on that $5?"

/doublin' down always creates a little insecurity.. a sign of confidence to unnerve mr. so sure of himself


he doesn't accept the up of my ante. we stay at $5

and shake.

me: "it's been a long time.. you know what... i think it's a preposition. yes. a preposition. what are prepositions again?"

****


according to dictionary.com

is

is, in fact, a verb.


/but i'm not going to volunteer this information. see if he remembers on his own. $5 is alot of money.


how many people just went wild there?!

'cuz, i mean

a lot. "TWO SEPARATE WORDS STUDENTS!!... if i see alot as one word... you'll have to write the entire paper over!"


/that's alotta writing...


-k, so


says at dictionary dot com

is, (verb) and, but, which is pronounced iz -because... in the english language, we follow some very strange formula where around, 42 and 1/2, point 3 percent of the time, things are spelled phonetically -and the rest is memorize or die

but anyway

the description reads:

3rd person singular present indicitive of be.

/and "thy" in there somewhere and it sounds very shakespearean

but anyway,


you know what...


i've written over 3,000 short stories, newspaper articles, essays, poems, reviews, commentaries and blogs


and have read over 3,000 books

without knowing that. -or needing to know that.

-go figure.


***


so, dear people of the world

you can love books, love reading, love words, love writing

and yet

HATE GRAMMAR.


and clearly... you will not be the only won.

1 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger SHE said...

original post of this story: 12/14/2011

inspired because my son recently commented on leonard stegmann's blog and

wrote -alot.


crime and punishment...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home