Thursday, September 29, 2022

NOW THAT'S A BOOK STORE! TOO.. or rather, THREE #threelives.com

 


hello fellow book lovers, i am just off the phone with a lovely person from your book store, having ordered rules of civility, gentleman in moscow, & the lincoln highway, to add to my collection of personally inscribed books by authors i love reading, 

 

the lovely person  (obviously i forgot to get her name); mentioned amor would be at your bookstore within the next couple weeks.

 

PLEASE FIND OUT FOR ME  -In rules of civility,  it is the first time Amor uses em dashes instead of quotation marks.  IS HE THE FIRST IN THE LITERARY WORLD to do this?   i am wow'd by this evolved punctuation   -how clean for the reader..   enhanced the lincoln highway read dramatically.     It's a pretty big deal to recognize the who/what/when regarding the origins of this evolved style    -historic

 

"Thank You!"  

 

***  excerpt from Amor Towles website ***

In my first novel, Rules of Civility, I also used em dashes instead of quotation marks.

Quotation marks are designed to let an author insert little parenthetical observations or characterizations in the middle of dialogue:

“I knew your father well,” he said soberly, “back in the early days of the war…”

“Yes,” she said smoothing her skirt, “another cup of tea would be lovely…”

By eliminating the quotation marks in Rules, I was forced to abandon these little clarifications and write conversation in such a way that the dialogue would do most of the work on its own. I also think it resulted in exchanges with a sharper delivery and quicker pace.

It seemed natural to use them again in The Lincoln Highway for the same reasons.

Three Lives & Company

Wed, Sep 28, 11:50 AM (23 hours ago)

to me

Hi Sandra,

 

We will try to ask and will be sure to let you know what we discover!

 

Cheers,

Miriam

 

Three Lives & Company

154 W 10 Street

NY NY 10014

 

And GIANT “Thank You Miriam!”   -because she did ask and share!

 

Three Lives & Company

10:57 AM (15 minutes ago)

to me

 

I have an answer from Amor to your question!

 

“Sandra, I am not the first, please see Cormac McCarthy, James Joyce, and all French novels!”                             /that’s funny, answer arrived in quotes.

 

Cheers,

Miriam

 

Three Lives & Company

154 W 10 Street

NY NY 10014

212.741.2069

 

Miriam!  Appreciate receiving this information so much!!  i will update my blog accordingly.  "Thank You!"   and excited to receive my personally inscribed Amor Towles books!   Blessings,  ~sandra 

 

*****

 

   …. Checking personal library for any French….    any at all…     one?  not even one?

 

maybe tucked within an anthology….  

 

Well,  I suddenly LOVE these authors, and French novelists..    -which is the very, very first?

 

Oh no,   CH!   -I am part French…

 

or in-between our individual work shifts;

 

every now and then I just look at him and with a smile..

 

"I sure am glad you asked me to dance.."

 

and he smiles his sexy smile

 

"I sure am glad you said yes"

 

and I say with a smile

 

"Thank You Jesus!  Thank You Barones!"

 

and we clink cheers our coffee mugs, or our champagne glasses, or our water bottles

 

and we kiss

 

those nice long, slow, passionate, French kisses

 

***

"oh!  lets add that on then, shall we!"

..the way I know I must be part French for the way my tongue loves to twirl around when im kissing my sexy..


OH NO!  i visited threelives.com and ANOTHER Cerebral HyperLINK




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home