Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Terms of Entertainment as explained/ appreciated by (me!) sandra, tvgp

i must whisper it occasionally to myself      terms of entertainment      in order to continue to enjoy and allow myself to become immersed in any variety of movies, books, shows

it is a play on words from a previous life experience, which im pretty certain I have written about before    -pause to check

***

can't find.    it is a play on 'terms of endearment'  which is when the reality, and question,  hit most pronounced

what is entertainment; exactly?

-because I was working at Lyon's restaurant at the time:  1983   as a hostess, and there was a movie theater nearby.   as a result, people waiting for a seat could often be heard discussing the movies they were about to see, or had just seen

and one of the biggest blockbusters of the time:   terms of endearment.    almost all of the conversations I did not have to work at eavesdropping on,  were singing the praises of this movie

but then there was this one couple; man and wife, mid 50's maybe

and, their tone..     it was their tone, I remember their tone, expression, volume

and what they said went something like this   "how can anyone call that entertainment   -we lost our daughter to cancer.  I would never pay to watch that"

****

that woke me up.

****

and, can you imagine   -one group of people at a restaurant table gabbing up a storm about how wonderful...     "I would see it again..."     "I have to tell so n' so to go see this!"

and the couple who lost their daughter to cancer sitting at the table write next to..

***

but it is a deeply, deeply, rooted cultural practice; so deep, you can't even imagine the absence of it

     -would be the absence of entertainment itself, I suppose

one person's very real pain; another person's form of entertainment

one family never wanting to revisit a pain, ever!    -another family paying to see, in their free time, for fun

***

after that couple woke me up, I just paid more attention to what I personally could call entertainment; and what fell in the   -how can you call that entertainment?!  category


    trust me here..    that actress just got PAID TO PRETEND SHE WAS RAPED?!?!?

***

I could go on and on here with examples, but will cut to my most current whisper moment.

    -breaking bad.

Robert and I watched every episode of every season recently  -snuggling up, him post surgery/healing..   and save only a couple predictable/unoriginal threads, I found it one of the most original stories, cast of characters, arch/evolutions I've seen in a good long time

    -if you've lost someone you love to meth addiction; this is not for you.

I have to block out, how infuriating it must be    -this series being so wildly successful..   and knowing what I know about how devastating/destructive/hideous the real problem is in the real world

I have to block out, how individuals and families   -the enormous loss, struggle, pain; the intensity of, and longevity of,  their loss, struggle, pain..  which is REAL

when, the people acting and just pretending...  they are going home with big fat pay checks.

getting paid big bucks to just pretend, what is so real and painful for countless others..

    -you can see where I would need to whisper

terms of entertainment

something about doing that allows me to re-engage and just get lightly lost and enjoy the story for what it is

a story.

a very well written, highly engaging, original, creative, surprising...

amazingly paced...

spectacular!      it was spectacular! and we loved every episode; sexy and I

****

and I think we are living in great times when it comes to entertainment; movie-making

the format I grew up with, 1 - 2 1/2 hour movies, or 1 hour, 1/2 hr tv shows; occasionally TV series..  

but now,

to have that much time to develop a story, each character/their relationships to each other, each plot..  each thread..

great gift to writers  -and for the audience!

 to be able to watch  -taped,  entire series, without interruption..

   binge watch; is the current colloquial

and binge watch we did..  

and I would never sit in a movie theater for that length,

but snuggled up next to my sexy..   with popcorn, pj's..  in the comfort of our own bed..

    hours and hours, episode after "in 18 seconds.." new episode,   passed in what felt like minutes

and he was simultaneously healing the whole time..

so, "Thank You!" to everyone behind, around, near and in the scenes of breaking bad...  outstanding!


***

terms of entertainment.   "thank you Jesus!"    amen

***

I can safely mention here, minus an identifying name   -how recently I had a friend say to me

   -real life, mind you,

"I have a confession..    I've been lying to you..     I've been in rehab..    addicted to meth"

***

and, I knew they wouldn't do it...   the writers wouldn't do it..

but I did say to Robert..  my sexy

"the only way they could un-glorify this meth story, is if the son, walter jr.  somehow became addicted..

if they showed a slow progression  -and walter jr became an addict..   and they didn't rush his story along from drug to death, but really showed the pain the parents, and the family suffer..."

***

I think one of the lines in the show goes like this:    "it's a poison we give to people who don't care"

and obviously, I'll have to

terms of entertainment,   terms of entertainment,   terms of entertainment



    -because anyone who knowingly, consciously, gives or sells an addictive substance to anyone..

***

the Bible  -scripture does distinguish between people who stumble..

and people who CAUSE others to stumble..

***

and now I shall cast my cares and carry on   -hallelujah & amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home