Friday, September 22, 2017

on a broken plate; my memory served... (me!) sandra, tvgp

to the accuracy I cannot speak.  but to the memory, as it presents itself to me

well, it goes just like this:

I'm guessing I was 14..  give or take, and had learned the art of crank calling people from my older brother    /a bart simpson of his time

with great certainty I can tell you:  on my own, without learning it..  without having someone else show me how..   I would have never came up with the idea.. or initiated crank calling on my own.  I did not have that kind of an imagination..

and i'm sidetracked here to wonder:   who made the very first crank call in history?  and what

oh, my goodness...   I'm mean prank, don't I..  prank call.

okay.. so, who made the very first one, and what did they say?     I remember my brother having me pick a telephone number out of the phone book   [CH: the jerk/steve martin]

and, go, like

"is dave there?"      and person would say, "no dave lives here"  or "you have the wrong number.."

but I would call the same number again,

"can I talk to dave?"     -same response.

and continue a couple times repeat calling, and then about the fifth or sixth time, my brother would coach me:

"now call one more time, and say..   Hi.  This is Dave.   Has anyone called for me?"

    -and, we thought this was absolutely HILARIOUS....

and, just about every prank call I heard bart simpson do on that TV Comedy...  I was already familiar with thank you to my brother.

***

but, from the broken dish my memory is served on...    in the particular case of this memory

of this WILD memory,  -where a series of prank calls resulted in a friendship that has spanned several decades..

in this case, my brother was not there.  

in my memory, it was just the girls..     me n' sue~sue for sure..  and maybe one or two others, but

rather than being witty, or funny, or silly

us girls..   under the oceanic influence of mass media from which we all almost drown..

we were predictably,   -well, the adolescent version of seductive..     when you know the what, but not really the why or how

and we decided to pick numbers randomly out of the phone book, and try to sound like a potential mistress to upset the wives..

yes...

we tried to put on a sexy voice, and say like, "is Mr Davis there...?"     and this only really worked if a woman answered, and then we would try to go like,

"will you tell him i'll see him again on...      Friday.."   /all sexy, and try and make the Mrs. suspicious.



-of this, I am not proud.   but I do remember...

and what you learn as you get older, is that, to a 14 year old,   -in our minds, we really sounded older..


like 20!

or, 25!     like, a real, genuine potential threat...

but to anyone who IS 25 or older, a 14 year old trying to sound 20, sounds exactly like a 14 year old trying to sound 20:  it is so blatantly obvious.

and that was the advantage the person had who answered the phone we next prank called.  to my memory it went something like this:

".... yes, is Mr Souza there...    "  /all breathy~sexy

"... senior or junior?..."

[grasp at phone to cover speaker..  look at sue-sue in a panic..    senior or junior?   there is a senior AND A JUNIOR...    what do I say?"

".. senior!"    in a loud whisper..

"... Mr Souza senior please..."       /in blatant 14 year old trying to sound 20+ voice; highly questionable, entirely entertaining

"well,   Mr Souza senior is not here..  this is Junior...     I can pass a message on.."

***

and, now,   -if eddie's family does not have a senior/junior with matching names,  -this whole memory goes to trash..    but this IS how I remember it

***

and, then..   the way a 20 something year old, can detect 14/15 year old teenagers trying to make prank calls   -the junior on the phone, engaged us in a longer conversation for his personal entertainment

I have some memory of saying my name was  -tina.    and when asked my last name, I said,

entirely unrehearsed and unprepared "curshner."       I knew it phonetically, had heard it somewhere..   and that's what popped out,  'tina curshner.'

but then, the junior male person on the phone, who knows he is speaking to teenage girls who really have no idea what they are doing..  he goes,

"how do you spell that?"

                 -I had no idea how to spell the last name I just made up...

                 -none.


long silence.    looked at sue-sue.  covered the speaker.   how do you spell curshner?

and so,

I think I spelled it that way, but with the tone of a question mark in my very breathy seductive voice as I pronounced the letters..

             c?...    u?...     r?       shhhhh...         n.e.r.

and then,

junior with all the advantage of knowing..    he goes, like..

"that's different.    -the famous music producer don kirshner spells it with a K..   K.I.R.S.H.N.E.R."

and, after the next long silent pause, that lasted several years..     I go,


"oh.





***

and, then according to my own personal memory..   we chit-chatted for a while..   sue-sue got on the phone, I got on the phone, and we learned not only was there a senior and junior.. but even more brothers..

we hit the jackpot!

and then we learned they lived not too far away...

and at some point,  -when the gig was up..     and we got honest about who we were and what we were doing

we adventured to go visit them and meet in person..   and there was a son, our age... sue-sue's age.. I was couple years younger..

and then we actually became friends, and met for coffee at denny's..   and went bowling together..  us, and eddie souza (sousa?)    -the youngest of 4 brothers (?)

and we stayed friends for a long while in our youth..   and life sent us ultimately in opposite directions, and we lost contact..

but, for sue-sue and eddie..

the friendship picked back up..     remained...

and exists to this very day.    


***

and I know sue-sue does not share this memory in common with me..    but, she wanted me to share mine

how we met eddie sousa.

***

with love, laughter, fond memories..      xoxox

~being 14.


***

and spiritually speaking..  I think the wisest men on the planet today; the oldest and wisest:  still adolescents in God's knowing eyes.    amen.















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home