Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Great Math Mystery, as seen by (me!), sandra, tvgp

here is my confession..

/confessions..  can they be quantified?  -and from here on out, I plan to,  -after I complete this post, go back and bold each word   -asking that question:  can this be quantified? do you see pi here?

it is with great love for physicists, numbers people, scientists, and all people smart enough to attend those ivy league colleges, that I repeat the following:


it is ridiculous to try and reduce God
into a simplified mathematical equation
but!
to entirely leave God out of ANY equation
is an error of even greater arrogance.

so sincerely,   and with love,  
  ~sandra, tvgp.

***
  now, my confession, is that when I watch these shows, NOVA, or something on PBS, where I know I'm going to be listening to smart people  -secular smart people, discuss the entire world and all the people in it as quantifiable..      when I know I'm going to be listening to people who do not believe in God but do believe in numbers..

I don't exactly arrive on the chair in front of the TV with an open mind and/or heart... 
about the same way a skeptic scientist secular  type doesn't visit his or her friends church with an open mind or heart either..

so, my biases..    life-saving biases, I might add..   as a Christian are on the table.

  -so, you know how a math savant can almost, with computer like speed, speak out the correct answer to a very complicated math problem..   -and when you ask them how they do it, they cant quite explain..  they just know

well, when during this show they posed the question:  is math invented or discovered, in that same way..   I answered correctly, instantly..  because

I just know.

ALL of math, and numbers, and pi..       discovered not invented.    let me see if I can come up with a good analogy:

I do always like to ask smart people...   did you invent yourself?  your body, heart, muscles, blood, heart, eyes, brain.. ..  sentient nature...   your talent and gift as a scientist...  are you taking credit for that?  have you not recognized it came with the package you are in...?     but let me return..

I'm not sure if this is good or not, but lets take a masterpiece painting.  did the masterpiece artist invent the canvas? the paint? the paintbrush? color? paint? easel? effect of light?  light itself? hues?  -did the masterpiece painter invent?  or did the painter... who arrived on this planet as a painter by the way, or else, they would not be innately attracted and motivated by the instinct to paint..   did they invent a masterpiece?

what I'm trying to get at...  is that a whole lotta contributing factors already exist for the masterpiece painter in order for him or her to paint the masterpiece itself.   when the very first human discovered color; mixed primary colors...   do they take credit for inventing a new color?   -I would argue, the new color already existed; waiting to be discovered; with the potential for being discovered...  -no light; no color..   no eyes; no see...   no instincts; no discoveries..   no curiosity; no experiments..

pause to consider all the factors, criteria for color to exist, and humans to recognize it to begin with..

no human invented color.  just as no human invented light, or invented electricity, or invented gravity, or invented mass, or invented motion

all of our greatest scientists who get and take credit for inventing are actually discovering what can be accomplished from matter and materials which already exist.   it is mostly a problem with our limited vocabulary..    how we define and use, invented vs. discovered.  created vs co-created...

in fact, every single thing a human does is collaborative; even when they do it  ~alone; isn't it..

but, it is with love, that I say..  and see..    -well for me, it appears as arrogance..   unintentional, and sometimes subconscious..   but

the world is populated with people who arrive, out of the womb, with many different, talents, gifts, innate instincts..

it is too long a list, but..  some will be gifted with the instinct to transform an apple into apple pie, or applesauce,    -myself..   I never had such an instinct or curiosity? if only people like me existed, the apple would be eaten as an apple, and never get transformed into anything besides cut in half, or in fours, etc.

some are born with the instinct to create...   the auto-matic apple slicer..     predesigned with even number of slots, and blades which..   push!  and you have your apple all cut up beautiful and ready to serve..

some are born with the instinct to identify the apple, name it..  know the tree, categorize species of apples..  granny smith, Fuji, ...   

some are born with the instinct to figure out how to mass produce...  cross-breed...

I could go on and on, but the point I want to make..  is that out of all the people I have met and talked to over the years..    I need to pick on scientists the most, for taking the most personal credit for their innate instincts, gifts, and talents..

you can take credit for discovering and using them; yes..

but honey..   you did not invent your intelligence.

***

now, let me also say here this:  especially and sincerely to:  Professor, Max Tegmark, of MIT

Our world is not either/or, but AND

our world is physical AND spiritual.   our human bodies are not either/or, but AND

our human bodies are flesh AND spirit.

here is your assignment:

quantify the fruits of the spirit:  love, peace, joy, patience, goodness, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control.

quantify good and evil.

quantify selfishness and generosity.

quantify forgiveness, mercy, grace

quantify narcissism and selflessness..

quantify PTSD..   not how many people have it; we can arrive at a number there; quantify its effect on the human spirit and quantify how to overcome and conquer..

  -one parent utterly abandons its new born baby..    leaves and never returns.
  -another parent will fight to the death to protect their newborn..

quantify that behavior..    quantify temptation;  quantify righteousness..

when a human being matures, evolves, grows into a humanitarian..  and uses their life to bless countless others

vs. a person who dies a stubborn, lonely, addicted mess...

quantify   -quantify faith.  quantify the awe factor..  

I believe..

/quantify believe vs know

I believe you will find there are seen and unseen things in our universe which numbers cannot explain..

and the fact that the earth, solar system, gravity, etc. all existed before humans arrived, makes everything in it, and around it  -a discovery.   

and isn't it the most exciting thing to make these discoveries!   -how exciting? quantify that..

quantify how painful it was to have polio, -to be the loved one of someone with polio,  -quantify how exciting it was to discover a cure for polio..   vs. how exciting to discover what combines with what can create an atomic bomb...

  -so much, so much I know...

start here:  quantify the power of forgiveness.

In Jesus, and the Holy Spirit...      in words AND numbers...   in physical AND spiritual...   in flesh AND spirit

amen!





5 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger SHE said...

prayer... quantify it. the power of prayer..


/it is going to be a challenge to turn my thoughts off on this topic and get on with this day..


but I will pray..

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger SHE said...

one of my favorite passages.. Love, faith, hope..

quantify each.

-because my bragging writes today.. I never lost faith in the warriors last night.. I knew they could win! Hallelujah! Praise God!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger SHE said...

Conscious awareness; conscience; motivation; intention; discernment..
quantify these.. dignity..

Dear Jesus.. help me to become un-preoccupied by this topic and move into the present moment and correct responsibilities.. Thank you!

Speaking of... Gratitude.. Quantify it..

Amen!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger SHE said...

What its like to be a victim of rape, slavery, human trafficking.. Quantify it. Pi in your face.. I feel another poem coming on..

Dear Jesus.. I need extra help and grace today...

Amen.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger SHE said...

..the impact of reading Shakespeare for Dr Maya Angelou,.... the impact of Dr Maya Angelou's writing and lectures on humanity..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home