Thursday, November 20, 2014

Objects of my desire ..by (me!) Sandra, tvgp

I can't stop being fascinated with how my mind does /and doesn't

Work.   What things I can and what things I struggle to remember.

Always observing.. My own my mind.... (Can a computer be fascinated with how its mind works?)

I.e,  numbers are always slippery. In the park that is my mind..  Numbers prefer the slide..   Letters and objects head for the Velcro wall..

In order to ring up an item in the register I must enter a SKU.  /I have forgotten what that stands for.. But.. It is usually a 6 to 7 digit number..  Made easier to remember sometimes because it often correlates with a date

9137610 for example.. Sept of 2013.. Then the balance of the numbers have to do with a product genre..

Anyway.. Numbers.. They love the slide.  So on more than one occasion I have needed to remember a SKU during my walk from the back of the store to the front.. So I'll repeat it out loud, softly, over and over on my way to the register..

"9137610, 9137610..."

And inevitably! I will get stopped by a customer en route

"Do you have any 14" dark blue candles"

And I know in that very instant.. My numbers are gone.  So, I help the customer.. Go back to re-remember the SKU.. And on my smart days I just write it down..

But! In great contrast to that...  Without ANY effort at all.. I completely remember -objects.

My eyes have taken in literally thousands of unique items.. Pottery, pictures, knick knacks of a wide variety of shapes, colors, sizes..

I was in a home, -a very beautiful home, recently, and the owner showed me a piece of pottery purchased at the store..

I KNEW instantly.. KNEW.. Not guessing/wondering.. That that particular piece of pottery had never crossed my path.. My eyes or hands had never touched it. It had obviously been purchased before i started working there; or in a very rare and unlikely event, it was merchandised and sold in one store while i was working at the other or even more unlikely but not impossible.. Was processed, merchandised and sold in between my shifts..

But i can observe that about my mind.. Without any effort, without -trying- to..  I am in fact remembering the lovely objects i touch and merchandise on the shelves..

I wont necessarily remember when it came in the store, how long it was there, or who bought it..

But i do remember "it"

I believe (can a computer believe?)  if 12 people who purchased objects from me.. Even if over a year ago..brought them back in..

And 1 of the 12 was not really an object I personally merchandised and sold..

I would easily, quickly, know write away which was which.

- I pay close attention when people tell me they are 'numbers' people.. Or NOT numbers people..

I wonder if its similar to being write or left handed..

Numbers vs letters vs objects..   Predisposed

I sure think so...

(Can a computer do that? Observe its own mind? Observe its strengths and weaknesses; contemplate? Wonder? Know vs. Guess.. And know when it knows.. Vs. Know when its guessing..)

We are a masterpiece if there ever was one...

In Jesus name, -amen.

1 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger SHE said...

.. A great deal falls in that category:

I am not REQUIRED to remember.. I do not NEED to remember.. (Like you NEED to remember what day it is.. Etc.)

I just do automatically remember some things.. And not others..

And am then naturally curious (can a computer be curious?) About the circumstances and distinctions and reasons why...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home