Saturday, November 08, 2014

Conversation with a peoples temple cult survivor. by (me!) Sandra, tvgp

I was 12 years old, living in Hayward, California when the tragedy took place..  I only now vaguely remember the chronic news coverage..  Mass suicide-murder..   Images of bodies lying dead..

Only vague is my memory...  Cups; poisoned kool-aid; cult; Jim Jones..  Peoples temple..  Guyana..  San Francisco..

This kind of grief and disbelief and confusion in my home, school classroom, neighborhood...   What happen?!

I remember only vaguely, as an adult, happening across a documentary..  Watching it in hopes to learn more; to understand now, what happened then..

The brainwashing..    -such identifiable patterns leading to..   -when you have a chance to look back

The only other time I remember talking about it..  Was in an effort to explain to my children, where that saying came from:

"Drank the kool-aid"

It is used quite casually colloquially these days..  To imply you have over-surrendered to, or been seduced by, someone's charisma (ideas, beliefs).

It is most often Used, from my experience, in regard to political leaders..   Anyone attending a rally for a given candidate and then buying into their vision and supporting said candidate with great enthusiasm publicly..

They will either volunteer it themselves, "yes.. I went, I listened, I drank the kool-aid"

Or.. Someone will say it about them "oh no.. So n so drank the kool -aid"

This is born from one of the ugliest, notorious, cult murders in the history books.  I cannot myself offer any new information; it would all be redundant.  You can Google for yourself; keywords:

Jim jones. Peoples temple. Jonestown massacre.

Why I'm posting this now.. Is because the above being my only highly limited knowledge of the tragedy..

You can perhaps appreciate my complete surprise at learning that one of our rather favorite frequent customers to the store..

Visiting at least once a month when she gets her hair done..

Well, I learned yesterday, that SHE

Is a peoples temple survivor!  She escaped at age 26..  Having been entrapped for 6 years..

SHE is among the people who were so desperately trying to communicate to an oblivious and deaf, dumb and blind public

That Jim jones was killing people.. Was going to kill everyone! That to visit Guyana "to get the story".  Was to " risk your life..  I want you to know that.. You are risking your life!"

SHE gave the warning even to congressman Ryan, who in fact was murdered.

I would never be able to do our conversation justice. I only want to say how happy, pleased, grateful and proud of you I am for escaping; for surviving...

I feel very privileged you shared some of your story with me.  That tragedy is so many things.. World history; religious history; cult history; an eternal cautionary warning..    -the weight of it

To see you today.. Beautiful, healthy (save a broken ankle).  It does my own heart good..

For my readers..  -of course! I asked her first if I could share this on my blog.. And I've also invited her to share some of her experience in the comments here, which I also consider a great privilege

"God Bless You!" Friend...   "God Bless You and Keep You!"

Amen..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home