Tuesday, September 02, 2014

You are not qualified to be President of the United States of America then.. By (me!) Sandra, tvgp

I am aware i have mentioned this before.. But reading "a call to action" by former President Jimmy Carter,..  Especially page 53/hardcover.. Reminds me again..  Of my fascination/admiration/curiosity of people who make gargantuan decisions with incredibly high stakes and handle loads of stress from multiple directions on a daily basis vs..

The exposure i have to people who are entirely consumed and sometimes undone by 1 or 2 problems..

I.e.   -and before i go any further, let me first point out:

I KNOW I AM NOT QUALIFIED to be president of the united states of america

But -that is the little catch phrase that continues to play in my mind with every encounter like the one im about to describe..

I do not say it out loud. I just think it.

***

Recently i spoke with a mom who had to decide whether or not to invite a certain child to her childs birthday party..

Would she hurt the childs feelings if he heard about the party and found out? Do you try and keep it a secret? Would it end the friendship with the childs parents? Was there some excuse she could come up with.. "Only room for so many people...".  -and if she did invite him.. What would happen?

And this ONE issue..  Whether or not to invite so n' so to her childs birthday..  It consumed her. Baffled her..bothered her..  She could not sleep.. Thinking out all the implications..possible consequences..

And it is situations like those..  For me, and when i hear it from others that makes my mind say,

" well, -certainly we are not qualified to be president of the united states of america!"

I mean.. Look at the number of, intensity of, high stakes of, amount of people affected, short and long term implications, amount of things (people, budget, politics, realities, hopes, unknowns, risks) that are involved!

Look at this alone:  this one thing in isolation from what we know is much more..

Pg 53:  My training in military history taught me that in more modern warfare, when there are no clearly defined battle lines in combat as there were in the American Civil War or World War I, it is impossible to discriminate between military and civilian casualties.

When is a war justified?

1 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger SHE said...

... Oh! Keep reading..

Everyone should read this...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home