Friday, January 03, 2014

Paul Mitchell, Paul Mitchell, Paul Mitchell by (me!) Sandra, tvgp

I. -some time ago now, several weeks, not months, I walk into ricks picks Danville and see Rick is talking with... Someone.. Very, very familiar to me. I'll admit here my approach lacked all social graces, because I found that I walked write up to them.. And in the middle of their conversation, without so much as an 'excuse me' I looked at this familiar face and said, "I know you!". -and while my brain went on its quest.. I just stared.. Then started whispering.. Pleasanton toastmasters... Then, without warning, out it came: "Tony Garcia!" -and I was write! Even though it had been some 16+ years since I'd seen him. well, naturally that got us talking about the golden years of Pleasanton toastmasters.. Everyone we could mutually remember that was participating around the same time.. The founders... Etc. And within this longer conversation Tony mentions.. (even now I'm going to re-guess his name.. Russ?). In truth I don't remember his name. I do remember his face! "didn't he look like a famous actor?". -and Tony confirmed that we were talking about the same man. How could I forget?! When I had the great tortuous displeasure of not only speaking so nervously in front of my relatively new toastmaster friends.. But in front of Robert Redford too! Yeah. He sat write next to (me!). Said, "you don't look nervous". Then I gave him my hand and it dripped all over him. "oh." he says. I remember wondering to myself why he was even there? He seemed gorgeous and confident and very poised.. Toastmasters is for the phobic. -anyway.. What Tony went on to tell me about Robert Redford, is that he had once -sat next to him on a plane? Or ran into him at an airport? Something like that.. And it turned out he was working for Paul Mitchell and was on his way to give a big speech to a large audience in the industry. I confessed to Tony, that even though I earned my CTM -I never fully conquered my nerves. -in truth though; I've gotten better. But Im pretty confident that in my lifetime I'm never going to feel excited about the microphone.. I will do what I need to though; as needed and survive. And Tonys testimony is that he benefited from toastmasters too.. Plus! He did Dale Carnegie too. *** *** ***. II. Shortly after that, by weeks again, not months, a young man comes into ricks picks looking to sell some advertising space in a community magazine.. Blackhawk I think it was. His name was "Carl". -which I remember because he said "like carls Jr. Fast food". -which inspired me to mention my son.."Jack.. In the box.". Anyway.. During our conversation he mentioned doing photography for race cars.. And something about being hired by Paul Mitchell.. And something about pallets of tequila.. And it just seemed as though I had never heard the name for years, then suddenly twice heard the name: Paul Mitchell in a short time. But, la di da.. The thought passed like they all do.. Until! III: I watched "you don't mess with the zohan" with my handsome prince just recently and guess who is featured in the movie.. So of course, I had had "one of those days" also recently where there were two bottles of conditioner in the shower and not one shampoo.. So I was like "fine!". And I went and bought a small container of said shampoo. Which I used this morning.. I am highly sensitive and/or suggestible to the universe; the difference between now (40's) and then.. (youth) is that I'm conscious of what it is that is influencing me.. But Steve jobs and Paul Mitchell.. I think they are in dialogue up there....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home