Friday, June 14, 2013

"you're worried about (me?)" by writeousmom

My son goes, "i'm getting worried about you," and kind of chuckles. I knew write away it was because I was sitting really quiet for a while, and then suddenly laughed, and got quiet again. -laughter out of nowhere, for no reason... Is mom going crazy? So I explained out loud what I was thinkin' about quietly.. Which was how when Rick asked me to fill this one end cap with home decor I kicked into merchandising mode immediately. Grabbed some pretty table mats from over there, some pretty flowers from here, a riser... And was so joyfully arranging each little item just so... According to height, color, style... And Rick walks by while i'm in the middle of my mini-masterpiece and he goes, "Sandra.". I'm like,"mmm hmm" and he goes, "just put the product on the shelf.". -which just made me laugh again! -there is a constant tug of war... Getting products out of boxes, inventoried, priced and "on the shelf.". Vs. "-makin' things look pretty and desirable for the customer!" and when time is limited.. And space is limited... And both time and space are always limited... You have to kind of sneak... But if I've ever enjoyed anything more I don't remember it. and it is exactly because it is a discount/bargain store and not a high end everything-has-to-be-perfect store.. Or a chain where the merchandising is pre-determined and you just follow a map store... It is the very casual, laid back, atmosphere but non-stop product shuffling that is a perfect fit for (me!). So much opportunity to be creative, to experiment.. To live with the imperfect and in progress..add the eclectic, artsy, darling, charming and beautiful decor! we get to merchan.. I mean, that we get to Displ...I mean, that we put on the shelves. I can't remember a time or job before this I actually looked forward to.. Time flies! And what a variety.. Of products and people and responsibilities. Makes no difference to me whether we are unloading a truck, pricing, shuffling, cashiering, breaking down boxes, or spot cleaning the helpless floor.. I'm just glad to be there. learn a ton every shift from my manager and co-workers.. Extraordinary merchandisers! When they are not forced to be practical product placers. ..so many ideas... Ways to combine, hang, display that I never would come up with on my own... Oh! It increases my desire significantly to have a new place to decorate that we can call our own. A home. My ENTIRE ... I'm sorry..I mean, OUR home will be furnished and decorated exclusively with all the things I fall in love with at ricks picks. That makes me laugh out of nowhere also... When I envision someone asking me about my decorating style... "Victorian? Modern? Austere?". I just tilt my head and smile..."al la ricks picks." I say with delight.."our entire home... ***. ***. NEW PAGE/SAME DAY: not too long after I explained my unannounced laughter to my son, did I see HIM carrying on the longest one way conversation with the dog. Looking write at the dog and talking and asking questions as if it could understand English and might respond any minute... Of course I couldn't resist the opportunity anymore than if the dog were handed a bone..."are you under the impression the dog understands English? Honey, I think I should be worried about you..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home