Thursday, September 17, 2015

oh. princess redface sinking heart. (me!) sandra, tvgp

2014

[roll down car window] "hey Jessica!". 

Jessica waves.  I tell everyone in my car at the time how Jessica walks like 9 miles around town everyday..  how she is like  -James

Who i nick-named the walking man... because he walks I don't know how many miles everyday around pleasanton too..

Can anyone else here James Taylor singing in the background here?

2015

anyway.. you never know exactly where you will see Jessica or James, but I promise you this..

if you do any amount of driving around town at all, you will definitely see one or the other..   somewhere..   every time..

I do not know either one really well, but I do know them enough to have spoken to them individually each once or twice over the past couple years

and then the balance of our relationship is just a mutual wave when we see each other.

Like, 100% of the time I see James, I always slow down a little and make sure he sees me wave, and he always waves back.  -that's it.

-and one time, I drove past him on my way to work, but write when I waved, I also passed some trees, so I knew he did not see me wave.

that would have severely ruined the rest of my day, and thrown everything off..  so I drove around an extra block, made a u-turn, and drove past him a second time so he could SEE me wave..

and then he waved back.  And if I remember correctly..  our sales numbers were very high that day.

-these exchanges should never be underestimated..

anyway..  I've known James much longer.. How many years I've been waving to him I can't be sure.. But a good long while.

Jessica is newer on the scene..  And I can't help but wonder if they would enjoy walking together, but I get the strong feeling they both want this to be their solo quiet time..

some otherwise great walks do get dampered by the requirement of conversation

-oh! There she is write now!   [Roll down window]. "Hi Jessica!"

***

James, the walking man..  He has never been inside ricks picks to my knowledge.  He does walk along main street..   And no doubt his feet have made contact with every street, sidewalk and dirt road this city has to offer.. But, I've never had him come Inside the store during any of my shifts..

Jessica, the walking young woman..   She has! 

in fact, she has been in ricks picks many times..  is a fan of the store and prices..   and everytime she comes in, if there is a coworker or customer to share the news with:

"Anne.. this is Jessica..  she walks like 9 miles a day!"

and then we all small talk together for a couple minutes.  And she is just a sweetheart of a human being..

on her most recent visit into ricks picks, my daughter happen to be in the store too..

My daughter already knows her from sight.. Because I point her out every time we pass her by in the car.   But they had never met in person.

But just before I went to introduce the two of them..

Jessica reached her hand out first to my daughter, and with the worlds sweetest smile, and the most subtle, kind and yet, extra articulated, and ever-slight increased volume of her voice she said to my daughter,

"Hi. My name is Julia. What's yours?"

***

now, of course I apologized and I wrote her name twelve times on paper, and repeated it during my nightly prayers, so I would not make the mistake again..

But..

But..

well, now I'm not sure if James might not be Jeff or Peter even..

and I said hi to our customer victor, yesterday, but now every name I say out loud comes out sheepish instead of confident and friendly.

and I was extra-extra grateful victor handed me his business card so rick could call him  about some furniture..  Because there it was in print:  Victor.   So I was back to saying it with confidence

"Thank you VICTOR!  Good to see you VICTOR!  I'll be sure and let RICK know which furniture you like..

***

so, I'm a big fan of business cards.. 

and!   Nicknames.

You can't mess up as often or as badly with nicknames as birth names..

but another funny story in fact, is how I've been calling Mr Motown, Mr Motown for so long..   And introducing him as Motown..

that when my sister went to introduce him to someone.. She couldn't remember his actual name..

and it turns out, he is a special case, because he really does have more than one actual name..

None of which I am going to try and remember write now,

Because..  

Oh look!  Its ..ja...  

The walking man.      [Roll down window].  " hi! there.."

and that's all that really matters anyway...

write.

in "JESUS!" name..   amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home