Monday, October 27, 2014

What?! No Invisible best friend named Jesus? By (me!) Sandra, tvgp

Notes from the interfaith service with the Rabbi:

  -cool how I happen to be reading people of the book..
  -before I attend any interfaith anything/exposure to other religious beliefs/faith systems (or lack thereof) I remind myself:  you are not to judge; only learn..  Only learn...

Guest "do the Jews say that Jesus was a prophet?".   /I recall that that is a distinction for Muslims..  Jesus as a prophet, not the son of God..

Rabbi:  " No. Jews do not say Jesus was a prophet..  They just don't regard Jesus at all.."

(Me!). Silently to myself, not out loud:  well, how ironic is that, Jesus,  -they make it as if..  YOU never existed...

***

There are many religions. There are many faith systems. There is also agnostic and atheist.  Controversy.. Controversy..  But undeniable is this:  you can choose = free will.  Human beings were not created to robotically obey one system.

Now.. I admittedly am skipping the long argument(s) regarding people who only have exposure to one way of believing based on geography; time/place of birth, etc.   -and people born into families who essentially dictate what their children will or will not believe..

Let me speak only to my own exposure and experience:  I have observed and experienced that everyone believes in something; and lives according to their beliefs and exposures..

What beliefs yield what results?

I have observed and experienced that everyone is, every single day, functioning under the influence of something..

Under the influence of drugs..
Under the influence of too much alcohol..
Under the influence of the pressure to succeed..
Under the influence of pressure to perform..
Under the influence of mass media, pop culture..
Under the influence of insecurities..
Under the influence of money..
Under the influence of status..

Long list..  And I have observed people under the influence of catholicism, buddism, /variety of ism's...    

Under the influence of a variety of -Bibles-   passages, stories, life authoritative narratives,  on and on..

My conclusion is this:  none of us.. From the pope to the Dalia lama to the Indian chief..   Not one human being KNOWS.

We are not -knowers-    we are BELIEVERS.

I have come to believe in a God that did create the heavens and our earth. I believe in the holy trinity: a God, son, AND holy spirit.   For me, that there exists a relationship is vital..  Because I have come to believe God IS LOVE.. And love gets expressed between people..

Love is a spiritual law.. Because it is experienced by ALL human beings and no one religion/faith system has the monopoly on that one..

LOVE is a HOLY SPIRIT..   And for me..   The guiding spirit of my life..

I believe in LOVE.. And believe one of the characteristics of love is sacrifice..   I have come to believe that the God I believe in, did sacrifice his one and only son.. Jesus, for the greater good of humanity..    That Jesus lived here on earth.. And died for our sins..

And conquered death..  Living on in spirit..   Spirits of: love, peace, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self control..

I further believe our God is a God of hearts..  Never inflicts or intrudes but always available;  ask, seek, knock..

The long list of blessings and comforts and signs and wonders I have and continue to experience personally..

Has strengthened, deepened, grown my awe factor to the point of no return..

So, having these experiences..  It just makes me kinda sad for anyone who does not believe in Jesus..     I pray and speak to Jesus like he is my personal best invisible friend..

James Morrison's song is coming to my mind again..  ".. Whatever I do.. It is under the influence of yoooouuuuu"

-so:  you may choose what you believe and what or who you allow to influence your life.

What/who are you under the influence of? What result is it yielding?

In Jesus name..   Saturated in the holy spirit,   grateful for love, forgiveness, strength..

I believe in YOU. I pray for YOU..   Hallelujah and amen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home