Sunday, March 10, 2013

THE WINNING CAPTION by (taryn!)

ORIGINAL POST 01/25/08:
so i called my daughter in my room, showed her the cartoon caption contest in the back of the new yorker. said, "you have a thought for this one?" -and in no time, she was out with a winner. -i laughed on the spot. "write that down, i'll frame it for you!"

i've been getting my new yorkers from the pleasanton library. at the library i can stack up on the new yorker and smithsonians for only 25 cents each, and it does my heart good to purchase anything these days on the honor system.

a small treasure chest with a slot for inserting coins or folded bills sits next to the rack of donated magazines and they just trust you to put a quarter or more in for each magazine you take home.

that part is wonderful, the bummer part is that when you are paying a quarter for donated magazines, they are often a bit outdated, and it was too late to send in my daughter's winning entry.

but it is so much fun, the cartoon caption contest. i've decided to subscribe today, in large part because i want to challenge and excite my daughter this way..

"we'll get you in the new yorker in 2008!" i've proclaimed. and already i can't wait for our first new yorker to arrive in the mail. my own goal is the publication of one of my poems..

the bar is set very high for both of us..

we wouldn't have it any other way.

5 Comments:

At 4:16 AM, Blogger Maithri said...

That is a hilarious caption! Love it!

The stars are within reach for both of you....

and with writing like yours and your daughters, the New Yorker is in the bag ;)

Love to you friend,

M

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger SHE said...

my3: big thank you! -will share your encouraging response with my daughter

-and write back to you..

much love! ~s.c.

 
At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahah how witty!

A family of published creators! :) I admire your drive, talent, creativity, and chutzpah, Sandra. If only you weren't so far away! We could rub off on each other even more.

"To friends who spur us on to bigger and better, more creative and joyful things!" :)

And once again, I LOVE your frame! You should help me pick out which photo to put in it :) I just can't decide!

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger SHE said...

bh: thank you! i'll pass that on to my daughter; make her blush with happiness

and so glad you like the mag time frame.. i LOVE, love, my thank you card too.

you two make an adorable, beautiful couple.. and you are both so photogenic.. any picture..
and then pop in new ones as your engagement/wedding plans progress

i drink to your toast:

"To friends who spur us on to bigger and better, more creative and joyful things!" :)

much love, ~s.

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(chin chin!)

:::::raising my glass:::::

 

Post a Comment

<< Home