Saturday, January 12, 2008

SHADOW DANCE by (me!) sandra, ttgp






"...i'm every artist ever born, creating without warning. i'm every woman ever born, i'm blessed. i'm loved. i'm cursed. i'm a fool in love with a fisher king; on a quest to quench your thirst." excerpt from revised poem: ~ self portrait.


the intention was not one of self-healing, but rather self-expression. i caught my shadow on the ground in the backyard one day. - noticed how quickly it changed.. within about 10 or 15 minutes i went from 2ft 3" to 7ft 2". and whereas i spend as little time as possible in front of the mirror, i delighted in watching my shadow.


'round the same time, i had fallen for marc broussard and practically raced to borders to purchase his cd once i heard it. carencro; love every single song on it. every. single. one.


but this one, come around, well, it's impossible not to dance to. and so, i had it in my mind to video tape a shadow dance. this meant relocating the tri-pod whereever that might be... charging batteries for the video camera, purchasing a blank tape from walgreens..


making sure the video camera was set up in just the write location to capture just the write shadow.


too soon, and i was a short, round, bouncing ball. too late, and i'd look like an nba basketball reject. the window of opportunity for looking slightly taller than i actually am, and looking like i'm dancing, and not an abstract flame of some sort; this window of opportunity lasted about 15 minutes, tops.


but on the day before my creative adventure.. i took ill. went to the doctors with a 104 fever and was diagnosed with strep throat. felt miserable.


couldn't stand the thought of missing out on that 15 minutes of perfect sunshine the next morning. -may be a good long time before it comes again- not just the sunshine.. but this mood.


it is safe to say, before marc broussard i was never inspired to shadow dance, and i've not had the creative impulse return. so i'm thrilled i did it. thrilled i caught the mood when it hit me.


if the camera were pointing toward me, instead of the ground, you would see i looked horrible. i was colorless and sweaty; entirely physically out of shape. it fatigued me just to set up the camera and portable cd player.


but i'm tellin' ya..


the very second the music started playin' and i started dancin' i began to heal. lost in the music, dancing and having a great time under the influence of marc broussard and the morning sunshine


showered afterwards and felt perfectly fine. like, 100% normal. the strep throat which would normally last 4-6 days for me, disappeared that very day.


so perhaps self-expression IS healing.


this is my testimony.


create in joy!








6 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Blogger singleton said...

OK, that's it, you gotta come down here and go dancin' with Skinny and Kimbies and I, we've all got the arm action and the hair in the wind action goin' on.....
Get back Tiki Bar,
the Tina Turner Sisters are here to party!
I love it!

ps....please send me your postal, gotta package ready to send, and I can't find your address anywhere!

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger SHE said...

singtome: -i would LOVE IT! clear a table top and save a dance for me..

for us. when i make it that way, i'll have my sister with me too

and THANKS! ..address is on the package i've sent out your way

much love my wild and free dance sister(s)

"to the spirit that moves us!" ~s.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger skinnylittleblonde said...

Self-expression IS healing...it's called 'letting the lead out' in my world.
I was entranced by your video, had to call Sister Sing & scream at her....'Sister, she dances just like one of us...all of us... like she doesn't care but like she feels the music in her heart!' What a great escape that video was for me to watch...I love it & I can only imagine how liberating it was for you to make!
I've missed bopping around the www so much since the divorce & new job & sick doggy & such :( but... I did cut out of work early today (on my day off) to apply for a local job. I'll take a paycut just to be closer to home & have more time with those that I love... which means, time at home & time on the www. xoxox

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger SHE said...

slb: you fill my imagination with an awesome dance party -all of us- movin' to the music

we don't get to do this often enough any more..

so on the rare occasions we can...

make room ")

and you are in the midst of big change..

but the kind of change that brings much peace and joy to the heart

i'm with you on this one for sure. i'd much rather stay close to home and have more time with the ones, and things i love

"to happy homes!" ~s.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Jim Ott said...

Wow. Very creative. I remember when you didn't know how to post photos on your blog, and now you're posting video? Awesome.

Thanks for sharing the dance and the music with us. Very cool stuff.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger SHE said...

ren man: -that's write- thank you again!

it's so wonderful to have this creative opportunity made so user-clicker-cut-n-paster-friendly

and when you go blog strollin', you can see, the more creative opportunities provided, the more that are used, and the more people come up with..

Maya Angelou said it best (of course.. who else)

"you cannot use up creativity. the more you use, the more you have"

the internet, websites, blogsites, youtube..

great testimony to this truth.

"to sharing our creative selves!" ~s.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home