Wednesday, January 14, 2015

"Got Spanked" introducing my new friend (obed espinoza!)

K..  So here's the deal.. I was in Livermore..  Or rather I was headed there on 580.. and write about where you can see Dick's sporting goods store and BJ's restaurant from the freeway, ~i  suddenly found myself with a fierce craving:

Casper's was too far in the opposite direction so I took the N. Livermore exit..  Found a parking spot and called my husband

"Where's the best place to get a hot dog around here?"

-and so I walked toward panama red and just around the corner there it was:   "with outside seating!"

If I was a plant.. My plastic tag would clearly explain that I need lots of direct sunlight, an abundance of fresh air, a little chocolate everyday and at least once a month -a great hot dog!

so I was hunting the menu for something big and spicy..

while I waited for my husband to arrive.. and got lost in thought about the proper romantic and biblical etiquette required for my current situation:

like.. would it be okay for me to have already swallowed a great big spicy dawg when he walks in? and then just keep him company while he eats his?   -or do I have to Frickin be polite and wait so we can eat together?  and I hadn't quite figured out what to do when my new friend walks in.. Obed.

Now, there is a great neuroscience type lesson in here about who notices what, when and where.. because my mind was fixated on the menu and etiquette.. and I never even noticed the sign hanging from the ceiling which contained the magical word that grabbed obed's immediate attention and  transformed the entire energy of the room from ordinary to...   "You're going to do WHAT?!"

and that word was this:   CHALLENGE

-something about this word.. which I did not even notice.. called out to Obed

and inspired him to...

"What?!".   -says Michael..   my other new friend I made while I was simultaneously scanning the menu and silently arguing with Jesus about the importance of patience as one of the fruits of the spirit..
-how necessary?

anyway.. Michael starts repeating out loud what Obed has stepped up to the counter and agreed to:

" you're going to take the challenge?  You're going to eat what? ... I'm sticking around to see this!"

and that got me intrigued..   and so I announced I was a blogger, that I'd take some pictures, -write about it..

Michael called his daughter and told her to come down to spanky's with the video camera..

my husband finally walks in..     /I heard God whisper to me..  "you're welcome".  -because all the excitement prevented me from inhaling lunch before he arrived...

anyway..   Obed signs the agreement.. I sign as his witness..  Michaels daughter arrives with the video..my husband is there.. the owner arrived to prepare the 

INSANELY HOT!!! ATOMIC CHILI DOG..    and we're all outside watching the owner, also named Mike if I remember correctly, go over the rules.. " no napkins.. No drinks.. Eat within 15 minutes...". 

-and it gets explained that hundreds have tried and failed...

-and obed gets warned like 3 different times how hot it is but only smiles with great confidence..

He explains he is from mexico.. And has already had exposure to the hottest spices and chilli peppers..

And then he digs in.. 

And we watch..   And we cheer from the sidelines..


And we watch...   as his face starts to flush..  and water starts to leak from his eyes..   


And we are not sure whether to cheer him on...   Cheer him on to what?   vomit?

and he slows down a little..  and moisture is leaking also from his nose..

He is literally turning red before our eyes..

"Did you soak this in liquid hot sauce?" He asks the owner..

and then he taps out..

We all applaud at the effort..  "You gave it a go!" I congratulated him..  and Michael and his daughter promised to email the video before they left..

Obed excused himself to the bathroom for an extended amount of time

I finished my way delicious Cajun spicy dawg..

My husband finished his.. /forgot what he ordered..

And we sat visiting with the owner under the beautiful, warm, California sunshine for a good stretch of time before we all went our separate ways again to take care of our separate responsibilities..

-but that was just plain, unplanned, wonderful, exciting, spontaneous fun..


pleasure to meet all of you!


Spankysdoghouse.com  

 Livermore, California.

Home to delicious hot dogs, unexpected adventure and "outside seating!

1 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sandra,

This is Michael (the videographer). I wanted to first compliment you on the wonderfully written account of the "Atomic Challenge" that we witnessed earlier this week. Great job of setting the scene and explaining the situation. By the way, I didn't notice the challenge sign either. It was only when the victim (I mean Obert) spoke up that realized what was about to happen. It was a pleasure meeting you and as promised here's a link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkiK6f65gQo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home