Thursday, July 03, 2014

I Fit Write In with Special Needs Kids.. (Me!) Sandra, tvgp

Part of me knows I'm not supposed to broadcast this: but I'm telling you, I LOVED working with those candles yesterday! See the picture below.. -those.  Flameless wax candles..  My job was to, -while listening to great music, and carrying on a conversation of significance (not surface) with my coworker friend, and stopping to answer the phone, and/or stop to ring up a customer at the register..

In between and simultaneous to all that; my job was to open boxes and boxes and more boxes of these flameless wax candles, -and

Here comes my favorite part: "sort & organize!" By size, style, color before we could price them.. And then, next favorite part:  "merchandise!" Them pretty on the shelves. (Still in progress).

I have to do this in very cramped quarters; so cramped its a nickel really...

This just adds to my joy..  I mean, too easy if you can just spread everything out and concentrate on one thing at a time..

But anyway.. Clothes bore me to tears..  Working in men's clothes at Nordstrom..  Clock ticked at about the rate of 1 minute every 3 hours..

But! I do maintain their customer service standards.. In fact, -I have on more than one occasion, bagged up a given customers purchase and then instead of handing the bag over the counter..

I walk around, and hand the bags myself to the customer and with a smile say, "Nordstroms service @ Ricks Picks prices"

None of that is my point, I'm just being chatty. My point is:

As I was lost in sort/organize candle world.. Patricia says to me,

"Its therapeutic isn't it."

And I was like, "very."

And she mentioned how she used to have the kids she worked with and taught, in her previous occupation, do sorting/organizing activities.  -the kids she primarily worked with had special needs..

So then I was like, "honey.. I would fit write in with those special needs kids... I could do this all day.".  -and that is a true story.

And speaking of...

I talked with a child recently who is in a special needs class.  This child explained to me how..  Well let me see if I can dialogue this:

Child with special needs: "... And then she asked my name and I asked her name.  Then she asked who my teacher was.. And she knew it was a special needs teacher so she told me she wasn't going to be my friend and walked away."

I said, "you know what you should have said... You should have said, 'well I think you have special needs when it comes to having manners'"

And this put quite a big smile on her face.  -we both know its true.  Everyone knows it true:

The kids who are mean, bullies, gossips,...  Selfish, self-centered..

These are the ones we need in special needs classrooms. The sooner the better.

Who cares if you can read, write, add and subtract if you don't know how to get along with and treat others with common courtesy and respect?

I've heard two -Two!-  stories recently of how children being bullied transfered to different schools.

Isn't this as about ass-backwards as it can get?!

Bullies are even more empowered; dominating territory and claiming victory...

It is the bully that should be transferred out.  When will we get this write?  I'm so disheartened sometimes..

Academics should not be the priority..   Look how many book smart people that are jerks are populating the planet.

Treating each other with respect.  This should be number 1.

Test. Pass or fail and try again, again, again..

Can not graduate or collect diploma without demonstrating competence in this area.

More important than any other test score.

"I have a dream!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home